Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer Starting Problems

Default Computer Starting Problems

Recently, I had invested into buying my old Dell some new memory, and I installed it, the computer deteced it on startup and was perfectly fine. Until a day later, in which I got a blue screen. Restarted the computer, it was alright. Another day later it crashed again(Non-blue screen). So, I figure the memory may have been bad, so I look up some memory testing programs and everything seemed fine. Then, I remebered that I had an overclock on my video card (Geforce 2, and yes, I know it is old/ and i have no idea why i thought this would work), so I set the card back to it's original settings. After three days, it restarted itself. Also, it doesn't always startup once you press the button, it takes a few tries. Basically what I'm asking is, where is the problem coming from?

Default Re: Computer Starting Problems

How about you give us some specifics on the hardware.

Only if you promise not to laugh.

Dell Dimension 4100
    Pentuim III 1.0Ghz
    512 MB RAM (2X256 CL3 PC133 Micron)
    Nvidia Geforce 2 32MB
    40GB Hard Drive (Unknown Speed)
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2

When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of it?

I shouldn't give people advice if I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 01-13-2006 at 08:20 AM.

Dust Clean Out, about 2 monthes ago.

New Computer, huh? You paying?

Wayout was implying that you should probably clean out your dust. I'd agree if you haven't done it in two months. Give it a good cleaning with a can of air and see if the problem still happens.

Also, have you tried resetting the CMOS? Changing RAM will cause certain BIOS values to change, and the more-sensitive boards can require you to manually change settings or do a reset to fix little problems like this.

Alright, So now the computer seems to be stable (As of right now, if anything happens I'll make a note). It still doesn't like to start, I noticed while cleaning, the PSU, seems to have gathered a large amount (IMO) of dust, that I can't blow out of it. Do you think it's possible the PSU could be the reason for it's failed start ups? (As in, the Hard Drive whirs, Dell screen appears, and shuts down, then starts over again)

I'd say it's quite likely. Are you trying to manually (with your lungs) blow it out? Some canned air should do it.

If you have an air compressor (perferably with a moisture seperator in humid areas) then just blow the stuff right out of there after a quick brush with a natural fibre brush (you do not want to use a synthetic one due to the chance of static discharge).

Thread Information