Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Notebook won't boot.

Unhappy Notebook won't boot.

Hi! I have a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S510 notebook. When I power it up it brings up a screen saying that windows cannot start because of a hardware or software change. It give me the option to start normally, or in safe mode.
    However, when I select either one, it seems to hang. Sometimes it blue-screens, sometimes will get halfway through starting up windows, and every once in awhile will manage to start windows the whole way. The few times I had it running I could not find any hardware that wasn't working properly?? The software all seems to be in order too?? If I run disk check, it will get to stage 4 and blue screen. I tried installing a good toshiba hard drive from another laptop, but it wouldn't even find it at all?? If I check the system properties, it says its running at 1.1 Ghz, but its supposed to be a P4 1.7G???
    I'm stumped??? Any suggestions are appreciated!?

P.S. It won't let me enter the bios setup on startup, just says press F1 for default?????

Default Re: Notebook won't boot.

Do you have the recovery disks that came with it?? If nothing extremely importaint is on there, you should go ahead and reload everything. If you get problems during a reload, then you have a hardware issue. It could be as simple as a cable, but it could also be anything else, HDD, RAM, CPU, MB.
    Most modern laptops will drop their CPU speed in order to extend battery life, this may be what you are seeing with the 1.1ghz(although it should drop lower than that). The BIOS will show what CPU is installed.

Thread Information