Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Strange restart problem

Default Strange restart problem

When playing games my P.C. has recently been shutting down and then rebooting to a black screen right after the WinXP logo, kinda like Windows gets stuck right after the logo disappears. The only way to get Windows to come back to life is to do a system restore to an earlier date in safe mode since safe mode is the only way to boot to winXP after this problem occurs.

Last week I thought I had this problem figured out becuase I noticed my front USB ports on my case were smashed to smitherines from someone trying to force an X-box 360 controller into them the wrong way. I unhooked the port wires from the mainboard and didn't notice the problem for a few days but then I started in on a game called Heroes of M&M 5 and it happened again tonight. I did notice someone starting up the microwave in the kitchen right around the same time the system crashed on me tonight and I vagley remember the same thing happened the last time this system restarted on me. Maybe its related somehow but its hard to beleive that this is the cuase since I do have the system plugged into an ACP battery backup/surge protector.

What do you guys suggest trying? Do you think its a surge cuasing this or some type of hardware problem/failure or maybe something with WinXP? In the system event viewer there are alot of DCOM errors stating that the service is disabled or becuse it has no enabled devices associated with it. I'm not really sure what DCOM is anyway or how to fix that error.

This system has worked flawlessly for over a year now until this problem started to happen last month. I don't think I made any changes to the system, right before this happened, at least not that I recall.

System specs:
    Asus P5GD1 mainboard with P4 3GHz socket 775 CPU.
    BFG Geforce 7800 GT video card
    3GB system Ram
    FSP (Fortron source) 500 watt PSU AX500-A

UPDATE: I don't think the problem is related to a surge. I tried to start up this computer this morning and the same thing happened, black, blank screen right from the start. Had to do a system restore in safe mode just to get it working again. I'm afraid when I shut it down that its possible the same thing will happen again. I have reformated the system and updated all the drivers when this first started to happen last month, so its not virus related, I have ran memtest without a problem. Any advise?
    Last edited by Spongebob; 07-06-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Default Re: Strange restart problem

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers. Also, try using some older ones as the latest Nvidia drivers are giving some trouble while being great for others.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

test it with Prime or another stressing application, could be a hardware problem. the same thing happened to my 3200 just before it died...
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

I think I might have found the problem, I beleive my USB Logitech webcam was the culprit. I'm not sure why that would cause a problem like that (maybe its driver?) but the system seems to be starting normally without that pluggged in. I noticed the light to the webcam would blink just as the system was booting up and thats when it would get stuck. I'll have to test it some more to make sure that is the only issue happening though.

It is the webcams usb power doing it. I hae seen this with other non powered usb devices. I have also seen them burn out the usb headers.

Quote Originally Posted by timonokinawa
    It is the webcams usb power doing it. I hae seen this with other non powered usb devices. I have also seen them burn out the usb headers.

I wonder if I need a bigger better PSU? I thought this one was pretty decent but maybe I'm wrong. A webcam shouldn't bring down a system like mine, atleast I wouldn't think so but then again I haven't had the problem since its been unpluuged. Maybe its just a driver issue.

Thread Information