Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer repeatedly restarts when disk is inserted in DVD-Rom

Default Computer repeatedly restarts when disk is inserted in DVD-Rom

... and will not stop until the disk is removed, it will restart before anything on the screen even appears. It has not be consitantly like this, when I first got it every time I inserted a disk and ran an installation from it or burned a CD in my DVD-ROM it would almost immediatly rev up to full-tilt and would be extremly loud until the installation was finished or the cd was finished buring, more recently it would sometimes randomly restart the computer but 2 or 3 tries would get it to eventually work, currently when a disk is inserted the computer will restart over-and over in immediate sucession until he disk is removed. CPU: AMD Athlon XP, 1466MHz (1700+) Motherboard: Asus A7V400-MX Memory: 512MB (PC3200 DDR SD RAM) (200MHz) GPU: Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 4000 (128 MB) DVD-ROM: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B Harddrive: 149G
    Last edited by Brennan; 07-30-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Default Re: Computer repeatedly restarts when disk is inserted in DVD-Rom

Not sure but I'm thinking that your DVD-ROM is prolly toast. My guess would be that something within it is shorting out and creating a power shortage throughout the system. Try a new DVD-Rom if you can.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Its almost bran new

Doesn't mean it isn't bad. If it is causing problems then there is something either wrong with it or it is incompatible with your system. From what you describe, I would also say it is dead/dying and chances are it will just get worse, not better. RMA time.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Hmmm, I've never ran into a situation where a CDRom drive will cuase a system to restart, but I guess its possible. Have you tried running the system without the drive hooked up to see if you still get the restarts or better yet simply try a new drive (you could always return one somewhere if its not the prob)? I wonder if maybe your PSU might be underpowered or some other hardware or maybe a bad cable\wire ect might do that. You could check your system event veiwer to see if that gives some type of clue. It could be a software problem also. Shouldn't be too tough to troubleshoot though whatever it might be.

Thread Information