Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: BIG computer problem

Unhappy BIG computer problem

I had my computer running a program, converting an .avi to a dvd to be specific, and so i left the room because it was going to take an hour.

When i return, my screen is black and my computer is off. The green light (power) to the tower is on, but nothing inside is working. All the fans, and drives are off. So i turn off the power, and turn it back on. I hear a spin of something for less than 1/16th of a second, and then nothing. It sounds as if it's coming from the Power Supply Unit in the back and on top, but can't be sure.

Any advice on what to do? The computer just won't turn on. I'm on my laptop now.

Default Re: BIG computer problem

Try another power supply if you have one. Generally speaking nothing will begin to come on if it is the PSU, though. Probably a mobo or CPU. (I'd guess CPU first)

BUT, before any of that, clear CMOS and try again.

I can't get in my computer at all, it won't start up, so i can't clear anything.

Clearing the CMOS is usually done by means of a jumper within the case.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Two questions then to follow up on that:

1. How do i clear my CMOS?

2. Will that erase any info or important files?

The CMOS is the BIOS mem that loads the OS and works the BIOS I thinks, i'm really curious about CMOS. How does it work? I used wikipedia but it only gave me the basic idea.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) is a small piece of non-volatile memory that is mounted on the motherboard. Since it is non-volatile (it does not lose data when the system is shut off), it is used to store important data regarding the componetns that make up the motherboard. This includes the system buses, memory speeds, processor frequencies, onboard peripherals... the list goes on. When you make changes to what onboard components you want enabled and/or disabled, these settings are stored within the CMOS. There is generally a jumper located on the motherboard that will allow you to return these internal settings to factory default. You'll need to check out your motherboard manual and it should tell you where this jumper is located.

As to the concern of erasing any important data, the answer is a firm and resounding NO. Your data is stored on the hard drive and this has nothing to do with the CMOS as it resides on the motherboard itself.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

And in addition--you just move the jumper in the second position for 5-10 seconds and then return it to its original state. Also, if your motherboard is not equipped with a jumper, there should be a CMOS battery that you can remove for a minute or two and put back in.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2005
    Also, if your motherboard is not equipped with a jumper, there should be a CMOS battery that you can remove for a minute or two and put back in.
    if he doesn't have one of those nifty jumpers he may very well have to leave the battery out for more than just a "minute or two" and he may have to unplug the power supply as well.

In the event he has a stubborn one, he should take the battery out for at least 5 minutes and unplug the PC. Beats having to do it twice...
    #

It was indeed my PSU unit. I upgraded from a 350 watt to a 500 watt. It's nice :). Thanks for the help everyone!

Thread Information