Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 4 clips of ram causing post problems

Default 4 clips of ram causing post problems

I have an Epox 9nda3+ motherboard with 1 gig (2x512 meg) Patriot Cas2 ram. I'm running a MSI 6800GT (256 meg) video card.

The system has been stable for 2 years.

Recently I added 2 gig of ram (2 x 1 gig). I checked my newegg order to make sure I got the same timings

Strange things started happening:

The machine would boot fine and run for up to 10 hours. Then either the machine would freeze or the video would go black.

On reboot sometimes the unit would not post, requiring a bios reset via jumper.

Sometimes it would boot but would hang on "detecting IDE devices"

I've run heavy hitting software like Flight sim X and Halflife 2 on it without problems.

I thought: bios update, ram order, voltage to memory.

I've upgraded bios to newest version switched matched pairs of ram, swapping pairs of ram so the larger clips are in Bank 0.

Last night I finally pulled out the smaller clips. Things seemed more stable but I haven't given it an acid test yet. It was getting late.

Should I increase ram voltage? Or do you guys have any other ideas.

My final thoughts: Since I primarily use the machine for game playing.... It seemed pretty snappy with 2 gig in it so getting the last gig of ram in might not be worth the trouble of playing around with settings and going through the hassle. But if someone has a solid lead on a solution I might be tempted.

Thanks,

Tom P.

Default Re: 4 clips of ram causing post problems

If it's trying to run the RAM in dual-channel mode, it probably is encountering an issue. Generally speaking, mixing memory chips causes dual-channel issues. Having different sizes, rated latencies, and four populated slots adds to those issues as well. Voltage and latency changes may help, but it might not be a resolvable issue. You will also likely need to run the RAM at a command rate of 2T.

You do not for any reason need more than 2GB of RAM on that system. The other components will be far more of a bottleneck than the amount of RAM. If anything, the extra GB will slow you down since you will probably have to increase latencies and use 2T command rate.

Thanks. I pretty much determined the same thing. I have a Foxconn mb and just saw the deal from Tigerdirect for an ATI 1650 with a Athlon 4000. Since the price was so good at $219 (with rebate), I went for it even though I'm not a big fan of tigerdirect.

At least this way I can sell my mb, cpu, 1 gig of ram, and video card and make up some of the funds.

Tom P.

Update: Got the cpu and the video card. Surprisingly both arrived on time in perfect condiition (considering Tiger's rep). CPU looked repackaged though but it worked fine.
    Used a Foxconn 1650-8ekrs board, 2 gig of Patriot DDR, and an ATI PCIE video card as noted below. It all worked right out of box.
    Only issues:

Temp monitor is flakey from in windows. Looks good from bios though.

I had to pull power cable on PATA drive to get SATA recognized as the install drive (C:) for XP. On reboot I plugged PATA drive back in and it kept the correct drive assignments. May be a feature of windows....

I have to do a little more work but it looks good.

Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by tpicciani View Post
    I have an Epox 9nda3+ motherboard with 1 gig (2x512 meg) Patriot Cas2 ram. I'm running a MSI 6800GT (256 meg) video card.

The system has been stable for 2 years.

Recently I added 2 gig of ram (2 x 1 gig). I checked my newegg order to make sure I got the same timings

Strange things started happening:

The machine would boot fine and run for up to 10 hours. Then either the machine would freeze or the video would go black.

On reboot sometimes the unit would not post, requiring a bios reset via jumper.

Sometimes it would boot but would hang on "detecting IDE devices"

I've run heavy hitting software like Flight sim X and Halflife 2 on it without problems.

I thought: bios update, ram order, voltage to memory.

I've upgraded bios to newest version switched matched pairs of ram, swapping pairs of ram so the larger clips are in Bank 0.

Last night I finally pulled out the smaller clips. Things seemed more stable but I haven't given it an acid test yet. It was getting late.

Should I increase ram voltage? Or do you guys have any other ideas.

My final thoughts: Since I primarily use the machine for game playing.... It seemed pretty snappy with 2 gig in it so getting the last gig of ram in might not be worth the trouble of playing around with settings and going through the hassle. But if someone has a solid lead on a solution I might be tempted.

Thanks,

Tom P.

Thread Information