Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Free space on hdd is disappearing

Default Free space on hdd is disappearing

Hi, I am having a problem, my hdd is a 200gb, on my hard
    drive I find 110 gb used, but the properties of the drive say there are only 15 gb free. I have checked it with the hidden files and folders, but they do not change the used space.

Default Re: Free space on hdd is disappearing

It could be reserved system space, used for system restore points (I think the default is at 12 % of the harddrive/harddrives or partition/partitions on your computer) presuming you're running Windows XP. The actual space used depends on how much is monitored, how large the harddrive is and how many checkpoints have been created. You can decrease the amount used in System Properties > System Restore > Settings (the settings are independent for each partition).
    I think it's safe to disable system restore on partitions/drives where no software is installed; e.g. if you have a partition with only music and movies, for example. But it should be left enabled on your Windows partition, I know it's helped me more than once, when I've screwed things up ;)...
    Or it could be something else... does it say that the drive capacity is 200 GB in the properties? If it says something around 186 GB it's all right because Windows counts one GB as 1073 741 824 (1024^3) bytes, whilst the drive manufacturers count one GB as 1000 000 000 bytes. Otherwise, if it's a brand computer you've got, there could be a hidden partition on your computer with restore files - I think Packard Bell does this, or something similar, with their computers.

Also, some specs could be helpful. What computer have you got? Any partitions? Brand, if any? And so on...

Chieftec Bravo LBX01-B-B-SL
    580 W Hiper Type-R PSU

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 S.939
    AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3000+ at ~2470 MHz
    OCZ Gold EL PC 3700 Ram, 2.5-3-3-8 at ~456 MHz,
    2x512 MiB
    Gigabyte SilentPipe X800XL, 400/490 MHz
    Auzentech Digital X-Mystique 7.1CH DDL-RCE
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
    1 x WD Caviar 8 MiB cache 1600JS-00MHB0 160GiB SATA-2
    3 x WD Caviar SE 16 MiB cache 2500KS-00MJBQ 250GiB SATA-2

Default Re: Free space on hdd is disappearing

Another consideration is if you use Norton System Works, the area that works as a protected recycle bin can take up a huge piece of hard drive real estate.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information