Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: IBM Thinkpad 600 Boot Problems

Default IBM Thinkpad 600 Boot Problems

I am trying to boot to a USB CD-Rom (Lite-on) using a Win98 Disc on a IBM Thinkpad 600. My end result is to get WinXP on the laptop. The computer currently has no OS. I have updated the BIOS via floppy, but I see no way to boot using USB device. Their is a option in the BIOS to boot to a cd-rom but I believe that is a hot-swap option of which I have a floppy but no internal cd-rom. I cannot find a option to boot using USB device. Am i missing something or is this even possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: IBM Thinkpad 600 Boot Problems

There may be an updated BIOS for your motherboard that will allow the USB to be booted from.

Default Re: IBM Thinkpad 600 Boot Problems

options.
    1. pull out HD and place in usb HD device and copy the i386 folder from the xp CD to it, and then run c:\i386\winnt -(after you put the HD back in)
    2. get a laplink cable & laplink and copy the files accross
    3. download the boot disk from www.bootdisk.com and try that - it may have more drivers

whatever method you use - it will be bloody slow to install, since xp won't load its drivers to do the file copy

Thread Information