Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Stuttering and crashes:(

Default Stuttering and crashes:(

Hi all,
    Recently put together a rig, details below, which began stuttering both audio and visual during and after playing games but also sometimes during normal use. Anyway i replaced the stock cooling and installed an extra 12cm case fan and the stuttering became far less frequent. However it still stuttered during games and occasionally crashed during. Next stop was replacing the power supply with a 500w. Again less stuttering, in fact it now only happens occasionally after an hour or so playing games. Am i right in thinking this is purely the processor overheating? If so what could the reason be, the cpu should have run fine with stock cooling. If anyone has any comment they would be much appreciated. Next stop is beefier case fans and further cable tidying to increase airflow.
    Cheers

Spec:
    Foxconn/Winfast 8150k8md nforce 410/430
    Athlon 64 3800+ w akasa 873 heatsink
    Generic 1 gig ddr400 w akasa copper heatsink
    Sapphire radeon x1950 pro w accelero x2
    Samsung 250 gig hdd
    dvd-rw
    EZ-cool 500w psu
    Vista home premium
    All in an NZXT apollo case with three 12cm fans allbeit quiet low performance ones.
    Last edited by rugbydude; 03-23-2007 at 06:29 AM.
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Default Re: Stuttering and crashes:(

Where are the 3 fans and how are they set up (intake/exhaust...)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Crappy PSU + generic RAM with a power-hungry CPU and GPU? That's asking for instability. Provided your temps are within reason (you could check temps and report them; speculating about heat issues is silly), I'd point to the PSU before anything. If that was an upgrade and it helped, I'd imagine the PSU old PSU was part of the issue. That does indicate either decreased temps from a better PSU or just a slightly better, but still underpowered PSU.

In any case, describe the layout of your fans and post your temps.

Default It could be drivers...

My Main Rig (the DEAD one) was audio stuttering in Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne, I upgraded my audio drivers and video drivers. After installing updated drivers properly and restarting the system, Stuttering was blown out of the water, no stutter, no lags, no problem!

So, I would update drivers first before replacing hardware. Maybe it was Vista causing the problem, either. Check your drivers and hardware for Vista Compatibility.

If heat would be a problem, and you are desperate to cool it, get those drum fans (like the ones in car aircons) and mount them in your PC. 12V Drum fans are big, noisy, but when ducted to specific parts, they will cool them pronto. Just watch your PSU rating.

I have one 12 cm fan mounted at the base of the front of my case, one 12 cm intake on the side and finally a 12cm exhaust fan. Temps seem fine during normal use with the idle around 40 and the load around 50, however when the crashes occur, during games only, upon reset i have had 90C recorded in the bios! I have already tried changing the ram with some of my mates and there was no difference. Is the PSU to blame?
    Last edited by rugbydude; 03-24-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Double check your fans and make sure of two things...

1- that they are all spinning when the system is booted.

2- that your front and side fans are bringing in cool air INTO the case and that the back one is blowing warm air OUT of the case.

If all are running and they are set up properly, then check to make sure that the iarflow pathway is not obstructed. Odds are good that the front fan is positioned in front of the hard drive tower, which is a common place for folks to tuck away unneeded cables from the power supply... which also blocks all the cool air from the interior of the case. Good airflow is critical inside your enclosure. Even the best air coolers in the world won't do you any good without cool air circulating. Your temperatures (if even close to accurate) of 90C make you a lucky person since this is getting close to the dead zone... the temperature where your processor gets too hot and dies on you.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

No airflow problem will ever result in a 90c temp. The system will shut down before hitting 90. That would indicate a mounting issue, meaning the heatsink is coming off the CPU at some point.

Checked my CPU heatsink again and one of the brackets wasn't correctly in place. Lucky escape there! Glad i havent fried anything!

Thread Information