Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Voltage Differences and TV systems etc.

Post Voltage Differences and TV systems etc.

Okay, so we are migrating to Ontario Canada sometime this year. I have a few questions...

My laptop runs at 110-230V 60 Hz, could it work there?

Would a 2 pin Dial Up modem work up there?

I also plan on bringing my small TV, AutoVolt, 110-230V, NTSC 3.43, can it work?

I am also bringing a 3.25 inch hard drive in an enclosure. Can I bring it hand carry?

Should I avoid passing my lappy and the drive through the Airport X-Ray and Metal detectors? What could be the effects if i pass it there?

Would data burned to a CD be invulnerable to radiation, X-Ray and metal detectors?

BTW: my laptop is a FOSA 34BS1, Celeron 1.6 GHz, 356 MB RAM

P.S: I am selling off my main rig, since It is impractical to ship.

Thanks for the help Guys!
    Last edited by Aguiluz; 05-29-2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Forgot Something...

Default Re: Voltage Differences and TV systems etc.

After a quick trip to Google.com I came up with this website that will answer your questions about electrical compatibility as well as a few other questions. http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/p...anada_tips.htm

I'm not sure just exactly what you are referring to when you talk about a "2 pin dial up modem". It may or may not work but unless you are moving to a rural/isolated area you will find that a decent high speed connection (ADSL, cable) is relatively inexpensive and far faster than dial up.

Someone more experienced with travel and electronics may be able to answer your other questions.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Ontario is 110V A/C so anything 110V A/C will work here. If you mean your wall jack has a 2 pin plug in design then you'll have issues finding a proper walljack since those are considered old here and have been out of use for some time. As for travelling with a Lappy, it won't hurt your media, but you really need to contact your airline carrier to find out hte rules for traveling with a laptop. They are beyond strict about travelling with electronics now.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Thanks! That helps!

Yeah, I would think of that thing casecutter said about travelling with electronics. I think that was because of the "liquid bomb scare." Still might need to let go of that DUN modem since my lappy has an ethernet 10/100.

I also have an 802.11 b/g wireless. Is there any free hotspots?

And yes, I have the two pin, two wire modem, ack...

Thinking back on travelling with electronics, I thought they already done a "cooldown."

You can travel with them, you just need to find out the rules for your carrier and the country you are landing in. Most likely, you will have to pack your laptop in your luggage.

As for wireless hotspots, there are some, but most require you to have an account somewhere to access them. Toronto will have the most free to air hotspots, and you can always hope some of your new neighbors will forget to encrypt their wifi routers/modems, LOL!
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

The lappy and the drive might be needed to go to the luggage, not the hand carry.

And yes, I am really hoping that there are free-to-air hotspots around there, or even new neighbors "sharing" their bandwidth.

Thread Information