Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can this LCD be saved?

Default Can this LCD be saved?

Hello, I have a 5.5 inch portable TV set (Liliput Brand) and it is just 6 months old. Unfortunately, I accidentally fed the set with the same 12 Volts but reverse polarity for 2-3 seconds before pulling it off.

Now, the TV still turns on, the LCD backlight goes on, but it has a blank screen. The front panel buttons wont respond (except for the power switch) and there is no sound.

The unit still responds by pressing the power switch on the remote. Still no picture or sound.

Can this portable LCD TV set be saved?

Attached Picture: The TV set when on, just blank screen. I cant hear anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images Can this LCD be saved?-tvlcd-jpg 

Default Re: Can this LCD be saved?

More than likely, no. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by silent-circuit View Post
    More than likely, no. Sorry.
    Oh no... Rarely used. And, who would design a TV set without reverse protection diodes?
    Last edited by Aguiluz; 06-26-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Small Fix

Nice! I popped the rear cover open, and saw a burned coil (inductor). Out of curiosity, I used a piece of wire to "jump" the inductor, and guess what? It works! The TV works perfectly, I even hooked up my game console (A Playstation One) and played Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! on it.

The TV tuner kinda gone ballistic, with the TV now has "weaker" reception, (i.e, it will only receive strong signals) but then again, at least I can play Spyro on it.

With accidental reverse polarities in mind, I soldered a IN4148 diode and a properly rated fuse on the board, replacing those stupid jumpers.

P.S: While I was testing, I touched a nasty pink wire and it zapped me! I'm not joking -- It hurts. At this time of writing I have already packed the TV and my PSone on a box to be shipped to Canada (We are moving there in 3 days) so I cant give pictures.

Thread Information