Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Freeze

Default Strange Freeze

I've seen some freeze threads in this forum and other forums but none of them deal with my situation.Sorry if it's been posted before.

I recently upgraded my PC. Now i have a Asus M2A-VM with amd 690G chipset, AMD athlon x2 4200 , 1Gb ddr2 sycron @ 800, a samsung 320gb sata2 and a Sapphire Radeon 2600XT gddr3. It flies in most games. But it freezes in Test Drive Unlimited and Colin McRae Dirt. i have to reset the PC and it gives me a Bios CMOS Checksum error and i have to reconfigure my boot devices etc etc. I played other games such as Race and C&C 3 but my PC didn't freeze.It's really anoying because it's not a regular freeze. Sometimes it's after 5 mins, sometimes after 1 h.

I had this problem before i bought my radeon, when the pc was running on the integrated video card and the problem were some "AMD dual core optimizer drivers". I tried to unplug my secondary HDD, my dvdrw and some USB thingies thinking it could be the power supply....but this didn't stop the freezes.

I'm in need for some solutions please ! Thanx :D
    Last edited by Gygabite; 08-28-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Default Re: Strange Freeze

If your system has no issues after long gaming sessions with any but the two titles you mentioned, then it is likely something to do with the way those two games utilize system resources. First thing to do is to check the game websites or gaming forums for similar issues with these titles and see if there are patches or fixes available. It would not be the first time that a specific program is the cause of system instabilities.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

For one, Colin McRae DiRT is extremely intensive on the entire system. You do not mention which power supply you have also. If it is a cheapo generic low wattage, it will not handle that game at all. Test Drive Unlimited is also extremely tough on a PC. Sounds like heat issues to me. Make sure you do have the AMD CPU drive and the Dual Core Optimizers installed properly as well as all your system drivers are up to date. Also make sure your PC can breathe.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Just froze my computer in C&C 3...so it's not that kindof isolated incident :(
    If it's the heat that makes the trouble....what should i try to cool better?
    My power supply is a no name 400W max :D Thanks guys for ur help :)

Try taking the side panel off and use a household box fan or any sort of fan and blow it straight into the case. That power supply is probably not up to the task as well. Look on the side of it for a label and see what the specs are. It should give amp ratings for the seperate rails. Post back with what that reads.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

you've got another issue here as well
    Bios CMOS Checksum error
    sounds like you need to upgrade the bios, or the battery on your cmos is faulty

Oke, i've just updated my BIOS to a newer version. I installed Asus PC Probe II and started Test drive unlimited. in 5 minutes my MB temperature was @44 degrees.dunno if that's much or not.My power was constant, although @ 12V PC Probe says a nominal value of 12.20 V and my Current value was somewhere below 12.10 V.

Here is what is says on my Power Supply.
    [img=http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7595/p1070680resizekv8.th.jpg]

There are no guarantees, but that power supply is woefully underpowered for your system. 17A on the 12V+ rail is just not enough. You should look for something that has roughly 30A on the 12V+ rail, or a power supply with dual 12V+ rails with a combined total of 30A+ or more. Even after unplugging that other stuff, it is the video card that is drawing the most power in your system with the CPU next. Try to borrow a more powerful unit from a friend if possible to test this if you can before just buying a new one. Either way, I would upgrade that PSU myself.

Your temps seem normal, and the board will get warm with heavy use like gaming. I would still say you should use a large household fan and open the case and blow it inside and see if that helps. In the end, it could still be a heat issue if your case has poor airflow.

As to the bios issues, most likely cause is partial bios corruption from the shutdown of the PC, not the battery. I have never in my life needed to change a CMOS battery.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate

Yes its very likely your PSU.

Without the 2600XT that PSU would likely be fine but with the 2600XT it won't be.

Hello again and thank you for your replies.I bought a stronger PSU (that was guaranteed by the seller to run a 8800GTX with a Core2 Duo), reinstalled a fresh windows and the freeze still persists. I ran memtest, cpu tests and other mobo and graphic tests. Now when it freezes some red lines appear on the screen and the sound loops. It's not freezing only in games, in windows applications also....

Tried the large fan thing and still didn't help (except that my temps were lower).

It must be a hardware problem but i really don't know what might cause it...Please help ! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information