Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Testing my Hardware

Default Testing my Hardware

My computer has been very bad latley. I have gotten the BSOD a lot, and i'm concerned about my memory, etc.

I want to know what i can do to test my harware, PSU, CPU, Memory, and GPU to see if they are faulty. The hardware part of them. I want to pinpoint what driver or hardware is going and that i might have to replace.

Or, if all the tests come out fine, then i guess i have to reinstall Vista.

Default Re: Testing my Hardware

Are you overclocking or is this at stock speeds? How long ago did you install Vista and how many hardware changes did you make to your PC since you installed it? You have probably listed it before, but could you list your system specs so that we can gauge as to where the possible problem may lie.

As for testing, a good DMM is needed to test the PSU, opening up the case and cleaning the dust out and making sure all the heatsinks and fans are working is a great first step. Run MemTest and Prime to stress stuff. Prime can be setup to stess just the CPU, just the memory and the whole system. As for the GPU, they usually cause the system to freeze or artifacts when they are dying and driver issues with video cards are usually seen in the error message in the blue screen as to what driver caused the reset.

Blue screens are usually heat, memory issues, unstable OC and software, but this is not a definitive list.

The absolute first step is to physically clean the system inside and out, then clean and defrag the HD(s). Then run spyware and A/V. Be absolutely certain you reset everything to default in BIOS and only make any changes needed for proper stock operation. Then start all your stress testing.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

what sort of bsod message are you getting. sometimes they can be interpreted

check your fans for dust - I've found dust hidden inside the ducted airflow on a graphics card - caused problems form months before i found it

Have you considered scanning your comp for malware? For once, I got BSOD a lot, and when I scanned, I removed around 3 suckers before it disappeared. I used AVG free and Spybot S/D.

I'm really sorry that i have not responded. I have been testing and getting myself pissed like you wouldn't believe.

I dusted the inside completely.

I ran Prime95 for 16 hours on my CPU (e6700), and then 12 hours on my Memory. Both passed with no errors.

As of right now, everything is fine, i can play and be on for hours with no problems.

The only thing i did that seems to have fixed anything was moving the RAM stocks to the blue slots on my mobo. So they are at 2 and 4 now instead of 1 and 3 i am guessing. If that is the case, are my memory slots bad, or is my memory?

Thread Information