Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Term OC Gone Bad?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Long Term OC Gone Bad?

Sounds like you need to RMA the board. How did you clear the CMOS, please explain fully as some may not fully or properly do it.

i used the cmos jumper to reset. yea its the board i think. i took my whole computer over to my friends house and i tested out all the components except the mobo and processor(just because they are such a pain to get out...and after 3 hours of messing with everything else I was done, lol). we used tech toolz to run mem tests, gfx card booted up on his machine fine with no errors.
    couple questions though...this was my first raid experience so im a little new to working on comps w/ raid setups. i have a raid 0 setup, how is a mobo swap going to affect that? can i just buy the exact same board and swap it out no problems? can i upgrade to a newer board without ruining the raid? i am running vista 64 bit. thanks!

edit- also, do you have suggestions for boards to upgrade to(keep it around $300 max)? I like to game hardcore, use my comp as a media center for my tv, and i do lots of photoshop/3ds max work. i really need something reliable and fast fast fast.
    Last edited by SmokeyMcPot; 08-22-2008 at 12:15 AM.

You can buy the Same board with no issues for sure, but a newer board will require a fresh install.

Often same Manufacturer and Chipset will also be fine, like if you wanted to switch from one model to another withing the same manu/chipset you would likely be fine. If anything windows may install a driver or two on reboot.

New chipset for sure = Clean Install. You may get told this is not necessary, which it sometimes is not but has it downfalls with errors and other issues later on. Always best to do a clean install for sure

Well when I asked about CMOS clear, that is what I wanted to know... Kinda.

That is a great way to do it, I unplug the PSU from the wall and put a Hard drive or optical jumper on the clear CMOS pins and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. Then remove the jumper and plug the PSU back in. Just shorting it for a few seconds/minutes does not work properly. That is why I asked, so if you haven't tried it like that please do

I suggest a P35 based Gigabyte board (DS4 or DQ6), or a X48 or one of the better Abit boards.

I say that because with the added tech included with P45 I have seen so many issues here lately, just may be best to wait on that

turns out i have a 3yr warranty with asus on mobo's so I will probably just do that.

-so the raid will not be affected by the change out?
    -and do you think the 8800gtx may have fried the board?

thanks for all your help by the way.
    Last edited by SmokeyMcPot; 08-22-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Ahh well good luck in your RMA venture.

No the RAID will be fine for sure if you get the same board in return, Be sure to write down which disks you have plugged into what ports and then make sure they are plugged into the same on the new board

No Problem, anytime. That's why I am here, glad I could help even if it was only a little

Good Luck with everything!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-22-2008 at 03:21 AM.

Quick question....

How should I store the processor during the RMA? It will take about a month so I am assuming I need to do something to keep it clean. I was thinking anti-static bag to put the proc in and then seal it in tupperware.

That would be fine. Or use the box/package you got it in

Antistatic bag woudl be all that is needed, but tupperware addition would be great.

Got the motherboard back from Asus. Almost everything is working perfect again! No problems with the raid at all. Just seems my tv tuner is the only thing not working. And it seems like everything fragmented on the drives as well...but thats what we have defrag for! Thanks again for the help!!

Nice! Maybe need a new driver for that tuner? Glad to see you are back in business anyway!

I am running Vista 64 ultimate and I watched all the drivers it re-installed and the pinnacle pci hd tv tuner was one of them. I just haven't put much effort into fixing it yet though...I am just so happy my computer is running again! Lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information