Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Term OC Gone Bad?

Default Long Term OC Gone Bad?

I am having some issues with my rig currently and I do not have the parts to try and deduce what is wrong. I turn to you once again tweaktown for help....

My Rig: Asus P5wdg2ws pro, 4gb gskill, bfg 8800 gtx, tt toughpower 850w, e6600 @ 3.2ghz. I use zalman 9800 for cooling solution always running full speed. air flow is not an issue for my case. Bought all this about a year ago and it pretty much just stays on all day everyday since i remote into it for work typically.

Here is the problem...
    Ok, so if the computer is totally cooled down turned off and we turn it on we get this...it will boot up, and display the post on the screen. then it will show the windows ultimate loading splash screen and freeze. ok, so now i perform a reset....
    upon resetting, i no longer have any video. I will continue to not have video until i let the computer stay powered off for an extended period of time. I have let it sit there like this for awhile, and have achieved nothing. Cannot access bios, cannot see ANYTHING. totally blank.

so, after waiting a little while for it to chill back down....i tried again....
    this time, i booted up, and got video again like i expected. I entered the bios when i saw the post screen come up. successfully entered the bios, and went to go turn off overclocking. i have yet to make it to the oc section of my bios before it freezes. i have not successfully disabled the overclocking yet, as i only get 1 shot every hour or so. i have tried about 3 times now.

SOOOOOO, this is where I am at right now. I am pretty darn sure its either the processor or the gfx card....but you be the judge. Any troubleshooting ideas/tips welcome as I am not the best at this stuff.

Default Re: Long Term OC Gone Bad?

Sounds like a memory issue. In fact, most PC problems like this are memory related. Test each of your sticks and I bet you find a bad one.

PS: Use the clear CMOS jumper. Then you don't need to get into bios to set it to stock. Also, pull out all your memory except 1 stick and try it again.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter View Post
    Sounds like a memory issue. In fact, most PC problems like this are memory related. Test each of your sticks and I bet you find a bad one.

PS: Use the clear CMOS jumper. Then you don't need to get into bios to set it to stock. Also, pull out all your memory except 1 stick and try it again.

Right Said Fred

Really? Didn't know memory could affect video. I will try when I get home today...thx!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyMcPot View Post
    Really? Didn't know memory could affect video. I will try when I get home today...thx!

Yeap, the info/data to and from the GFX card must go thru the ram and CPU as well. Not in that order though, More like CPU > Ram > GFX and the reverse

All memory tested out fine on another system. Tried each individual stick in the original system to no avail. No longer am I getting the post screen either....at all.

I removed all the extras out of my computer as well. Only have the bare minimum to run.

Also, forgot to mention this...
    Before the computer became unbootbable, i was getting small little freezes randomly for about 2 secs while in windows. Dont know if that helps...

So what now? Should I head to walmart and buy the cheapest pci-e gfx card i can find to try out? or is it my processor...

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

edit- I have a friend with a PCI-E slotted mobo that I am going to throw the 8800gtx on. I am PRAYING that is the problem....because I bought BFG, which means lifetime warranty :)

if it is the processor.....thats not too bad, been wanting to upgrade to a quad-core yorky
    Last edited by SmokeyMcPot; 08-19-2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: forgot something ><

It would be the GFX card or the ram. Just because the ram is ok on another board does not mean the settings you are using on your is ok. Please post your settings you are using and I will see if they are ok (image will do just fine if you like)

im using default ram timings and clocks. 800 @ 5-5-5-15

Well for 4GB of ram you will need to be sure (So manually not Auto or similar) set tRFC (Refresh to Act) to 52-62. Additional MCH voltage will also be needed for sure for 4GB, as well as manually setting the Ram's Voltage

I cannot access the bios, much less get anything to pop up on the monitor, so adjusting voltage is a little hard. I cleared the CMOS via the jumper, reseated all components, checked all wiring, even re-applied some new thermal paste to the processor(also wanted to check for warps in the heatsink). Still nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information