Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: computer starts, bud doesn't go much further

Default computer starts, bud doesn't go much further

Hi everyone.
    I've recently bought new pc. It's not a kit, so i had to assemble it by myself. The problem is that it's already assembled, but something is not right. The parts are as follows:

Intel core2 quad q9550
    Gigabyte ep35-ds4
    kingston hyperX 4x1024gb
    Asus GeForce 9800GTX
    Seagate Barracuda 500gb
    normal Samsung dvd-rom
    Tracer case with 450W PSU

All the frequencies are compatibile. The computer starts, but nothing happens next. The screen is connected, but there is nothing on it. It's in the 'sleep' mode all the time. The graphic card fan is turning, so i suppose it does work. The cd-rom starts to work quite loud, just like it wanted to read a cd (but it's empty of course). After unpluging the cd-rom, the hard drive starts to work, but nothing happens as well.

So the question is: what is wrong? Is any of the parts incompatibile? Is the PSU insufficient? Is something baldy conncected?
    I'm desperate.
    Help me

Default Re: computer starts, bud doesn't go much further

something not plugged in? e.g pci-e power connector
    try removing some sticks of ram, i tink u may have to increase MCH voltage to be capable with 4GB ram.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well you need at least F2 BIOS for that CPU, but I assume you wont be able to see which it is without it working!

So best to try this. First try with ONLY the minimum hardware >>>>
    CPU/Heatsink
    1 Stick of Ram in Slot one
    Graphics card.

NO hard drives or CD drives.

If it starts like that above, I would go ahead and enter your BIOS and make some changes in the MIT section. You will need to manually set "Refresh to Act Delay" to 65+ for now, and manually add +0.2 to MCH voltages. And set DDR2 Overvoltage Control to the specified voltage on your ram sticker. (+.3 = 2.1V / +.2 = 2.0V and so on)

Even if you ram is 1.8V ram, which is the default I would at least set it to +.1V for 1.9V, but I would think it is likely 2.0 or 2.1V ram

Then put in two 1GB sticks in dual channel, and install the rest of your hardware one at a time to be sure they are not what it stopping it from starting. Hard drives can do that. If all is well, after you enter the above BIOS settings you can put all 4 sticks of ram in

As for maybe it is your graphics card? Does your Power supply support that card? I dont think it does really, most newer cards need at least 500+ with a good strong 12V rail and 1 or 2 6 or 8 Pin power wires going to them. I would test the card in another system to see if it works, if it does then test also in that system your PSU and that card and then you will know if it does support it or not

Well, i tried the minimum configuration, and didn't work.
    I've just ried to run it with a 560W PSU, but it didn't go further as well. However, i've also noticed something interesting. The graphic card requires the PSU with 12V current rating of 26A. I glanced at the table on the PSU, and the +12V rating is 14A. +12V2 rating is 23A. Is that the answer? I don't know exactly what this table means, but i think it has got something to do with the requirements on my graphic card. Am i correct?
    The another issue is that my memory isn't exactly on the list of memories that are supported by this particular Gigabyte motherboard. The beggining of the code match one position, but the ending is a bit different. Can this be the cause of the problem?
    I trid the compatibile ram stick, and it doesn't work either. I changed the graphic card to an old one, and nothing changed. So i think not the power consumption is the problem.
    When i have only one stick of ram installed it starts, beeps once as if everything is ok, and then it reboots and so on. When i have 2 ram sticks installed in one pair of slots, it odesn't even beep. The screen is blank, and completely nothing happens. It's quite a serious situation. Can motherboard e damaged somehow?
    Please help
    Last edited by HHWM; 09-14-2008 at 01:09 AM.

Yeah, that PSU is likely the issue. Even though it has 2 12V rails (14A + 23A) they only add up to 37, and your card needs 26 of that leaving not enough for the rest of the system likely.

Well since you get one beep with one stick of ram, that means a stable post. Where you would normally go in the BIOS and make some changes and add in the rest of your ram. Kingston ram of any model will work fine so you do not need to worry about that.

I think it is your PSU is not supporting that Card and the rest of your system, since with one stick of ram you get one beep and nothing else sounds like the card is not supplying/working for you to see the BIOS.

Power Supply is the single most important thing in your system, never to be skimped out on. I would suggest you test this card still at someone else's house first so you can be sure it is not DOA before going out and buying a new Power supply. But in the end, you may want to anyway, if you do be sure you get either a single 12V rail one with a Large 12V A amount, or a dual rail one with 40-50+ On both combined (12V + 12V2) rails

Get a good name brand as well

I'd be happy to be sure that the PSU is the problem, bt still it is unknown. I tried to run the computer with an old pci graphic card. The same thing occurs.
    I can't get to bios even after that friendly beep i mentioned. It restarts every 2 seconds after it.

Do you have a friend you can go test the card on his system? I would try that, then you will know if the card is ok. If it is on his system, test your PSU and his system and you will find out if it is the PSU or not

I tested the graphic card and the PSU with my friend's computer. The graphic card worked without any problem even with only 300W PSU mounted. The system loaded and everything was cool. So certainly not the graphic card and not the PSU are the problem.

Hmm!

Did you ever try the card in your second PCI-E Slot then? Do you have Init First Display set to the correct setting? PEG for the first PCI-E slot, and PEG2 for the second, dont forget to change when you test slot 2

In the end, it is sounding like you may have a bad PCI-E slot on the board, it happens. Hopefully if this is the case you can RMA to where you bought it smoothly

have you got all the power connectors on you motherboard seated properly (including the 2 x 4-pin 12V connectors). it sounds to me like your not getting enough power through the mobo, but 37A on the 12V should be sufficient being as you have a 45nm processor. make sure you've got the 12V connectors seated properly, and if this doesnt work, try using an older PSU to supplement your current one (eg use you current one for GPU power and mobo 24-pin, then use an older one for the 4-pin mobo connectors)
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Thread Information