Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New PC - please help me narrow down the problem!

Default New PC - please help me narrow down the problem!

So I ordered all the parts for my new PC and put them all together but now I am having a recurring problem when I try to install 64-bit vista or boot anything for that matter.

Specs
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
    CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    MOBO: ASRock X48TurboTwins-WiFi LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX
    HDD: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2
    RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

So what happens is I can access the BIOS fine and change any settings I want, everything seems to work fine until it gets to booting from the Vista CD.

It shows the loading files message and the progress bar fills up all the way though sometimes it gets stuck at various points. If it does get past the progress bar it shows that green Windows marquee scrolling past for a bit and then goes to a splash screen where it eventually shows a mouse cursor which I can move around.

But after that the system stops. I can still move the mouse around but nothing happens and I have to reset the computer. Sometimes after reset the screen just remains black and I have to power down completely for a minute to get back to the POST screen. I have also gotten a couple BSODs after splash screen appears with stuff like kernel not found or IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

I have tried using only 1 stick of RAM, switching the two sticks, not having the HDD's connected at all, but it doesn't help. Also, initially the POST screen would show 4GB of RAM OK, but now it only sees 3GB for some reason even though the BIOS says 4GB are installed.

I burned the Ultimate Boot CD but it doesn't even get to the menu where I can select any of the diagnostic tools, it just freezes after it says "booting" :(

So my suspicion is that I have some bad RAM but unfortunately I have no way to test this. I suppose it could also be the motherboard. Could any of the other components be the culprit as well?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: New PC - please help me narrow down the problem!

Sounds like you are on the right path, I would install with only one stick in slot one and manually set the correct ram voltage. And be sure you have your BIOS disk settings correct (And the driver loaded as you install)

Other then that, the only thing you SHOULD do is find a system or use yours, and Memtest86+ each stick of ram one by one >>

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Which you should be able to do since you can partially load vista

try putting the northbridge voltage at about 1.2-1.35V and manually setting the RAM up to the proper voltage (i believe its 2.1V for those DIMMs, just off the top of my head) then, like LSD said, run memtest for at least 3 full cycles per DIMM.

Can you give us an outline of your BIOS settings so we can have a look and make some more recommendations?
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

So it seems like something is up with one of my RAM slots. If I put RAM into it I get freezes even while running memtest. If I put RAM in the other things seem to run OK though it appears somewhat sluggish. If I put RAM in both then memtest runs alright for a bit but shows nothing but errors. Looks like I'll be RMAing the motherboard.

I was able to install Vista anyway, with that one RAM stick. Though now I wonder if the RAID controller from my motherboard will go bye bye once I get another motherboard.

Home made system?
    I'd be looking to install a gaming PSU 950 -1000watts
    HD IDE? if so try setting them on different IDE channels, one on '0' and the other on '1' both as masters.

uhm how long did you wait for the Vista CD to get ready?
    When i used mine for the first time, it took ab out 30 minutes for the splash screen to show up and begin installation.
    try waiting

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

2 month old post guys......

Vista installs in my system in 12 minutes

Thread Information