Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram problems

:snip: Can anyone help me with this. I have an Asus A7V266E running winme with a 1500+. I have bought ram from Crucial, Generic and Mushkin. My prob is that as soon as i, try to install anything over 512 of ram my system won't boot or when it does it goes into safe mode or says that system has halted .
    :cry: Can anyone help pleassasease!!!!!

That's because you're using a Win9x based operating system which will start getting flakey after 256MB's of memory so if you want all that memory then you're goin' to have to go to 2K or XP. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Could be the motherboard might not run more than 512Mg ram. I had a M/B do the same thing, as soon as I put more than 512Mg in, it would not boot but with 512Mg or under, it ran ok.

I have a computer running ME with 640Mg SDRAM and have had no problems at all.

Beefy Guest

Have you tried different combinations of chips in different slots?

yes I have tried all combinations, also my board is an Asus I just figured since it says the ram can go up to 3gb of ram i, should atleast be able to run one gig or even 512 +128

=

I'm stickin' by my original post as M$ didn't design Win9x to handle more than 256MB of memory though some ppl (me as well as I'm runnin' 384MB) have been able to run more but have you tried to just 1 stick at a time to make sure that 1 isn't crook? :?:

Beefy Guest

Win9x wasn't designed to efficiently handle more than 256MB RAM, which isn't to say that it can't handle it. Like you said, a lot of people have had much more than this with no problems. Which is why I thought it might be a faulty chip too, but if he's tried different combo's already, then I'm outta ideas...

I've seen a couple of hardware setups that will just not boot with Win9x over 256MB's but will have no probs when booting 2K/XP why I don't know but there must be some determing factor there somewhere. :smokin:

If the other responses don't help you take care of your problem, then you might consider researching your motherboard a bit more deeply. Check out the manual and see if there are any issues noted with using more than two of the slots on the motherboard. Many of the boards don't allow you to run DIMM modules in all three slots. I've seen a few that require a SIMM module if any slot past #2, so this may be an issue with your system.

Also, while both Wiggo and Beefy are correct about the memory issues (assuming that you are actually running Win9x), you're pretty much hit and miss as far as if your system will run with excess memory installed. I've seen some that will happily chug along with 768MB, and some have a hemorrhage at 384. I can't say why this is, but if the system works well with 512MB, then it is entirely possible that Windows is tossing it's cookies when you add more.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I haven't seen a Win9X system run happily with more than 512Mb ever. If you want more than that (which most people don't need anyways) then you need Windows XP. From what I've read even Windows 2000 plateaus in performance after 256Mb.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information