Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Stuck in Auto-Restart after MOBO and CPU upgrade.

Exclamation Stuck in Auto-Restart after MOBO and CPU upgrade.

I realize that when doing such major hardware changes it is standard to reformat the OS, windows has such a hard time coping with new hardware.

There is a new motherboard, a new CPU, (AMD Athlon X2 5000+), and memory as well.

The computer boots fine into safe mode, and from safe mode I installed the motherboard drivers. When I try to do a full boot it shows a BSOD after about 10 seconds of the windows loading screen. The computer reboots too quickly to see what the error is, and I can't seem to find an option to disable auto-reboot in the BIOS.

The motherboard is an Asus M2A-VM.

I would prefer to just reformat and install a new OS but this is a computer taken from an office setting, where it was set up in a network running specialized software that I am not comfortable trying to reconfigure after a fresh OS install.

Thanks guys.
    MSI K8N Neo
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    3gb Kingston DDR400
    Nvidia 6600GT

Default Re: Stuck in Auto-Restart after MOBO and CPU upgrade.

go into safe mode, right click on my computer click on properties.

then go to advanced settings, then startup & recovery.

Uncheck the "auto restart" box.
    reboot and tell us the error afterwards.

I know y...cause wen u plug in a HDD into a new motherboard, it doesnt work since the controllers are different on each MB. there is no otherway except backing up ur data and doing a fresh install.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Default Re: Stuck in Auto-Restart after MOBO and CPU upgrade.

A lot depends on the OS you have.
    There is a work around for some OS, but no reconmended!
    Reinstall the old Mother/CPU and boot the system.
    Within Device manager - Hardware Profiles add a new profile 'oldstuff', power down and make the hardware changes.
    Reboot - You'll be asked which 'Profile' you want to install - choose none of the above [or something like that] OS will now start to install compatible drivers, remember on reboot this new profile will become the original profile, it my take a few attemps before system full starts. As I said it is possible with some OS and others it just doesn't work.

Thread Information