Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Video Card issue (Inno3D 8800 GTS) or something else?

Default Video Card issue (Inno3D 8800 GTS) or something else?

Hello,

Just like to make 100% certain the issue is with the video card before I send it back to the distributor (card comes with 2 year warrantly, but the store will only look into it in the 1st year and its been purchased about 18-20 months ago).

What happened I was waiting around for a raid in WoW, so I was tabbing between it and the web browser, then the PC hanged up and had to reset it.

After the reset, I noticed a few thin vertical (1 or 2 pixels wide) lines of garbage on the right side of the BIOS bootup screen (where it reports USB and HD found etc). When it proceeded to the Windows XP boot up screen (the one with blue progress bar) the screen was totally corrupted. If it helps I could take photos of those screens.

Then I tried one of the live Linux versions which boot off CD and the corruption was still there, but not as bad and could see enough on the screen to use.

Since I got no other PCI-X card, I tried with old Voodoo 3 PCI and it worked ok (no corruption). Sadly, I'm not in position to try the 8800 in another computer.

What can I try and do to eliminate possibility that its motherboards fault? Or is it definitely the video card?

On a related note, anyone know where to send the card for repairs?

Default Re: Video Card issue (Inno3D 8800 GTS) or something else?

Does the system do this everytime you boot your OS or does it happen after a certain amount of time?
    I'd try updating drivers first, checking error messages, cables, and making sure all your fans are working properly incase something is overheating. Maybe a reformat would solve the problem or a bios update. Could be a failing PSU. Are you sure the monitor is working properly?. Anyway what I'm saying is start small with the trouble shoots and then go to extremes.

Have you tried 1) Changing Resolutions in windows and see what happens. 2) another Screen.

Ive never found much success in Alt + tabbing between game and other windows. Microsoft Just dont seem to like you doing that. Especially in Windows 7
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

I ended up getting MSI 9500 GT and the system was working fine for one evening and then hanged up and after reset I would get a blank screen just when I was supposed to get a Windows XP login. Turned out to be either loose Ram or serial HD cable, since after I reinserted those everything been working ok for a few days. Not sure if those 2 issues are related (things might have gotten loose when I was mucking around with the original card) but I'll try 8800 in again and will try it in another system.

In any case, since the system works with the new card, its probably not PSU (I say that since this card got no separate connector and draws less power), definitelly not Bios or Monitor.

I was quite surprised how well 9500 GT runs stuff. Of course I wasn't expecting it to be as fast as 8800 but WoW, TF2 and AoC were playable with the same settings as 8800 (at 1024x1024, only got 19in LCD). In Conan was getting 20-30 fps most of the time on average. On the downside, the image quality wasn't as good, mostly noticeable when looking at small text.

As far as alt-tabbing goes, didn't really had any problems with it, it just took a few seconds (you tend to often run a web browser in the background when playing MMOs) but after I got Ram to 3 GBs it became more or less instant.

Back to the issue, next step will be to try it in another system and then go from there.

Thread Information