Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New build crashing

Default Re: New build crashing

Not certain but your memtest file is probably an ISO file. You should be able to "burn image" with Nero or some other burning tool. I do not believe Windows can burn image files without an add on application. I haven't used any of the choices offered but you should be alright with the options here: Free ISO Burner BurnCDCC (Burning Software for Vista/XP/2003/2000/NT) My Digital Life . I think Nero still offers free trials as well.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Yeah I dont think Windows lets you burn an ISO as its intended. It may have let you actually put the .ISO file on the disk but that wont boot. Nero Essentials is free and will let you do it no worries. Nero - Trial Version But the one PrairieDawg has suggested will take a lot less time to download.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Oh good lord, I can't tell you how much I hate Nero essentials. To make things short, it left so many registry entries upon uninstall that autorun believes it's still installed...
    But using BurnCDCC I got the disk done right, and memtest+ didn't find any errors. I guess it's down to the power supply. I'm definitely in the clear on wattage, and a quick check of the manual showed that my PSU could put out 45 amps on the +12V rail, when the minimum for my card is 22. If tit's the power supply, then I've gotten two faulty ones in a row and will DEFINITELY be buying from a different brand for the next go-around instead of invoking warranty. The power button is also fine. Before I set my sights on a new power supply: could bad drivers possibly be the cause? A few posts back I mentioned my network card hving no 64-bit drivers. I want to explore every possible option...

Yank the Network Card out. Try it and see. As for Nero, Its ok. It does what i want it to do and It has the best quality of ANY & EVERY Dvd Program ive used to encode my divx movies that I download. Brings them out near DVD quality (on dvd rips xvid) even on a single pass. Im using version 8 and after an update its no more bugs or nothing. runs good
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Okay, I have a new network card now, and the internet issues are fixed, but not the real issue: random crashes. They're still happening. Is there some way to test the power supply for issues? I'm starting to rethink the power button too. I have an NZXT Tempest mid tower case and occasionally the power button gets jammed in a bit farther than it should be. It's no real problem as I can just pop off the side of the case and push it up from behind, but while it's in the slightly jammed state (keep in mind, I'm talking a few millimeters further in), the crashes become crazily frequent, occuring every few minutes. Could this be indicating a case issue? I know it's already partially broken (for those of you who have a Tempest, the two lights down the sides of the front panel are dead), but I REALLY want to be sure it's causing my problem before I do anything with it. Power supply replacement=20 minute job. Case replacement=major pain in the butt.

What are the temps on your CPU? Also, does this happen after your computer has been on for a while or is it really random?

I don't think CPU temp is the problem. With Cool&quiet it's idling at 38 degrees Celsius, and playing Crysis with all settings on high (texture quality and sound quality on very high) it never really gets above 54 or so. And since it happens even when the GPU isn't under stress, I don't think the graphics card is overheating either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information