Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Is my Computer Done for?

Default Is my Computer Done for?

Hey the other day i got a new tower and wanted to switch everything over from my old one to the new tower with the new towers power supply. i did so everything hooked up the exact way it was in my other tower. and it didnt start up . after checking all the connections i started smelling somthing then all of a sudden a loud pop and the power supply was smoking . so i switched the power supply out with the one that was in the original tower and still nothing . so i switched everything back over and still nothing . when hooked to the power the green lights on the mb light up but thats it it wont boot now. i have been trying to find a motherboard config of what my dell dimension 4850 should look like when rdy to go. jsut to check and make sure i got everything right but i just dont understand whats wrong.

Default Re: Is my Computer Done for?

Usually when a power supply causea a system failure, it will destroy the mainboard and sometimes other components. Processor and memory will be the other items most likely to suffer damage, but you will have to see about using the components in another working system to verify if they are the problem or are still working properly.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

well like i said the mb lights all light as normal andi did try the drives in another computer they still work . also i have used another processor in this one as well and same response. my first thought was maybe i didnt hook up somthing right on the mb.

Just because your mainboard has a light that comes on does not mean it still works. If it is a single diode, it simply means that power is moving from the PSU to the primary power header of the board, not that things did not fry. If the board has LED display that indicates a good boot or problems, look to see if it is behaving properly.

As for the drives, i have never seen a PSU blow a drive of any type. Usually just processor and memory beyond the mainboard itself. I have heard of others having graphics crap out, but I have yet to see it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

i know that it may still be fried . the md light lights up but no response from anything i am having a feeling my processor is alright along with all other components but the mb it self is done for...

What Darth is suggesting is that you take each component and put them into a different working system that has a mobo that supports your components. Ask a friend or hopefully, you have a 2nd puter. This way, you can find out if the components are ok. If they all check out, then yep, you fried the mobo. A failing PSU can send a surge that can do all sorts of damage.

If you can't do this, then you'll just have to experiment. You can buy a new mobo, but if the CPU fried, then you would be wasting money. Gosh, you would think mobo manufacturers could design some circuitry that could divert any surges or have some sort of self resetting "fuse" or relay built in.
    Smilodon tower case
    GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD X2 550 BE running stock with stock cooler
    G.Skill 2 X 2GB DDR3 1333
    EVGA GTX260 216 core 896 SC running stock
    WD Black 1 Tera

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

thank you that is what i was trying to descibe was that i did take every piece out and try in a diff system i came to the conclusion it was a gonner so i just dug out an old compaq pentium 3 900 mhz a 256 and a 128 chip with a nvidia geforce 2ti i mean i truly frankensteined this together but it gets me online and lets me download music oh did i mention the whopping 15gig hd. heh anyway thanx for all yalls help and advice

You should put the 2 power supplies side by side and look at the 20 pin connectors and see if the color codes are the same or if they are totally backwards. I have run into a problem here before and the solution was to take all the wires out of that 20 pin connector of the new power supply and reinsert them like the old dell power supply was. It could be time for a new system. You may want to buy a Gigabyte and get free support here. You can chaulk this one up as another THANKS A BUNCH Dell. Is Dell that evil?
    DELL ATX motherboard Power Supply pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru
    ATX power supply connector pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru
    Last edited by artdrivers; 07-22-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan