Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good computer but lag.....

Default Re: Good computer but lag.....

oh i forgot to mention that they were partitioned. so 2 partitions for each HDD os and data. wouldn't it be a big waste if i installed the OS which is only like 20gb on a 250gb hdd? where would i put my games because i usually i install them in the default folder
    thx

As a rule of thumb, I never install applications or store data in the C: drive. I even move the My Documents folder to the other hard drive. I don't want anything with the OS. This way, if I reinstall the OS I don't lose anything. I can delete the C: drive in drive manager and reinstall without any data being affected. I do this on servers and my workstations at home. Even the anti-virus is on another drive.

I would make partition to Vista standard: 40 MB + RAM. My c: partition at home is 56GB. I don't use the rest of the hard drive. I don't want anything competing for disk IOs with my OS. Hard drives are cheap. You can get a 500MB 7200.11 for under $80. Install your applications and data to your second hard drive. If you want to use the second partition on your first hard drive, store pictures in it. Use it for non-applications.

When you install any application, do a custom install. Change the drive letter to your second hard drive. Don't make two paritions on any drive. Use a single partition on each drive or array. You will get disk thrashing if you are using mulitple partitions.

Single hard drive
    C: OS
    E: applications

XP and above write a lot of entries to the OS, temp, logs. Having applications on the same drive cause the heads to move back and forth between the OS and your application. Having the applications on a separate drive improves performance.

oh ok thanks should i buy ssds while im at it or just buy a normal sata hDD

Default hiiii

Keeping you fashion around the world Here

hey wats raid. i think i got some ports on my motherboard for raids.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information