Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After clean install some programs won't load.

Default After clean install some programs won't load.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJJJ%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtm l1%5C03%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> After I did a system restore, the task bar & 'start' didn't come back so I did a clean install. XP Pro + SP1, SP2 wouldn't load, I tried SP3 without SP2 & it went back to where you've just put the OS on, another clean install,PS9, MSPub2003, Spybot, won't load,I've done 2 more clean installs 3 counting when the OS wouldn't load; now I've managed to load PS9 & MSPub but I still can't load SP2 or Spybot S & D, I can't update Adaware, Avast usually fails to update & has a red circle with a line through it, it won't go into safe mode it gets to where the white writing usuall zooms down but now it is frozen, the .avi video on Winamp, WMP or any player wouldn't play at all untill I put XP Codec pak on but it doesn't buffer as good if you move the seek bar it takes a while to catch up, what is on works OK. Sometimes the little hourglass appears so it must be doing something, I've looked in 'task manager’ & can see no processes happening, I've looked in 'sys config’ & can see nothing there. I've got on drivers for my mouse, Canon printer, DviCO TV Card,
    LG burner, Canoscan; programs - PS9, MS Pub 2003, MS Office 2003, MS Works, Lavasoft Adaware, Avast AV, Printfolder, Soundforge 7, Total Recorder, Web Graphics Optimizer Pro, Nero 7, CX2DVD, crap cleaner, power toys, Adode Reader, Winzip, Winrar & Firefox browser. CPU - Pentium'D' (935)3GHz, Mobo Asus P5GZ-MX, HDDs SATA, WD500 Green, Samsung 400, Samsung 300 (has OS) & PATA Seagate 20 GB , WD 120GB. 1GB RAM. Unless Mal/Spyware can hide places other than C: drive (only has OS & Programs on) it must be hardware. I'm a bit sus of the Samsung 300 GB: disk managment says healthy but I've had it say that when files were disappearing before my eyes, I did a disk check. nothing but then I decide to try again & checked both boxes to do it automatically, after that PS9 & MS Pub loaded, it could or couldn’t’ve been a coincidence, that HDD is 3 years old. I use a UPS ‘Powerware 1500’ but now it doesn’t show up though it’s plugged into a USB & I can’t load the monitoring ap, it won’t save & shut down now & its icon doesn’t appear in the system tray. I had about 20 GB of programs on it before the trouble & it was working fine.
    If anyone has any ideas on this I’d be most grateful.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: After clean install some programs won't load.

Did you load chipset drivers yet? About Service Packs, sometimes you need to install them, or updates before them, directly via Windows updates. Did you try to update that way?

Yes, everytime I loaded all the mobo drivers on, same as before(I assume the chipset drivers are in that). I've done clean install many times & I never had any problems with it before, I put the OS+SP1, then SP2,then SP3, though last time(when it went good) SP3 hadn't been released but that's a bit irrelevant as SP2 won't load. I would put IE8 instead of Firefox, but that needs SP3, though I tried but it won't load.

If you are using the CD those are very old, use these latest ones, first link
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

Not sure why it would work before with the same install process, but not now? Is this the same CD's, or did you burn new ones? If they are the same, maybe they are bad now and you should burn new ones? If you burn a new one be sure you use the slowest burning speed.

Have you ran chksdk? Try that and see if it helps

Open a command prompt and type "Chkdsk /f" without the quotes, and yes the space is there and required. Say yes, twice I think, then reboot and it will run.

I'll look at that website, thanks. Yes I'm using the same CD. When I said before I did a disk check, I meant checkdisk, after that I was able to load PS9 & MSpub, though I can't really be sure cos I did it first & it didn't tell me there were any problems. I've got another XP I'll try that this weekend, I might, I'm a bit scared that it might go worse, out of 4 installs this is the only time I've been able to put PS9 & MS pub on. I thought somethimg happened when it stopped before it finished restoring.

That link is to the latest chipset drivers, all drivers on your CD's will be SUPER Old.

Did you run chkdsk the way I suggested, if not please do because if you don't it will only run the scan but will not fix any errors it finds.

After I'd tried clean install 3 times I ran C: > properties > this option will check vol. for errors > Check Disk Local Disk C: , I ran it with the boxes unchecked to see if it had any errors, it reported none but then I still ran it again with the boxes checked, automatically fix... & scan for & attempt recovery... (isn't that the same as Chkdsk with the /f ?) it restarted so the disk was locked. It was a little better after that, I could load a couple more programs but that may've just been coincidence.

Yes, that would be the same since it restarted, sorry wasn't sure how you were doing it.

So anymore luck on progress here? You mentioned restore above I think, you aren't restoring XP images are you, your doing clean installs right?

No, I did clean installs after the problem I had doing a system restore. On the above website (new drivers) I don't know what ones to get, to me, it looks a bit confusing. I've used real out of date drivers before (not on this pc) & they wouldn't do some things or had bugs but the things still worked, that is why I was wondering if virus/mal/spyware can hide anywhere other than C:

Ohh ok, just wondered.

You grab the first link in the middle of the page. Here if you are unsure
    Â*INF Update Utility - Primarily for Intel® 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets

Spyware/Virus are usually on C, but yes they can be on another driver or partition and just be activated from something in the registry or otherwise.

Did you get Spybot Search and Destroy installed and updated yet? If so that should find most things, you could also try malwarebytes free scanner program it's good too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information