Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What card should I buy for compatibility with my system?

Default What card should I buy for compatibility with my system?

I have a Dell Precision 490. I bought a non-MSI GTS 450 graphics card but the connector on the card is longer than the connector on my motherboard so I cannot insert it. I have been told that my computer has PCI-E 1.0 connectors and that these are compatible with the PCI-E 2.0 connector on my card, but this is wrong.

I will return the card I bought and need to buy a new one. Does MSI make a similar card that will fit? If possible, I would like a DirectX 11 card, but if that isn't available I would consider DirectX 10. I will use the card to play World of Warcraft. My power supply is 750 watts, but I'd like a card which is energy efficient anyway.

Thank you.

Cool Re: What card should I buy for compatibility with my system?

Hello,

Dell's website says your computer has 1 PCI-E 16x slot for graphics, that card you bought should fit in that slot. PCI-E 16x 1.0/2.0 and 2.1 have the same slot. Did you remove your old graphics card first?

Attached is a pic of your motherboard, pointing out which is your pci-e 16x slot. The longer black slot.

So, that card should fit just fine, unless your case is not big enough.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images What card should I buy for compatibility with my system?-gu083-jpg 

Default Re: What card should I buy for compatibility with my system?

Thanks.

Yes, you're right. Also, you know more about it than Dell tech support. I contacted them twice about this. The first time they told me that I couldn't use a PCI-E 2.0 card in my computer. When I replied that the upgrade section of their web site offers 2.0 cards for my computer, they agreed, but pointed me to the wrong slot.

Anyway, I eventually figured out that I was trying to use the wrong slot and which one I should use, but it would have been a lot easier if I had had your picture. Sorry I didn't take the question down when I learned this.

However, I had other problems too.

1) The Gigabyte manual seems to say that their card works only with digital monitors. I think this is wrong, because the card has a DVI-I connector and comes with an analog adapter, but it had me going for a while. (I have an analog monitor.)

2) More importantly, my computer gave two short beeps and showed nothing on the monitor when the new card was installed.

Since I had already made arrangements to return the card, didn't know what to do about the beeps/no image, wasn't absolutely certain that the manual was wrong about the monitor type, and didn't have a lot of confidence that Dell tech support would help with the beeps/no image, I did return the Nvidia and ordered a 2GB Radeon 4750, which hasn't yet arrived.

I'm not sure if the new card will solve anything. It does have a VGA connector on-board, but that probably wasn't the problem; the adapter should have been enough. Maybe I need to change something in my computer's setup to accommodate a modern graphics card. We'll see.

Thanks again for your help.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

To avoid problems, you'll need to remove your Nvidia drivers before you install the new Radeon drivers.
    After you have removed the old drivers, it's best to boot into SAFE mode and run Driver Sweeper, select Nvidia drivers, and then run the program to clean up any possible remaining "residue" from the uninstalled drivers.

If you still have problems with your new card, borrow another video cable to test with.
    My old Nvidia 7600GT video card had 2 DVI connectors and there were no problems using a single or dual analog monitor setup with the DVI to D-sub adapters. There were no special settings needed, other than setting the desired screen resolution and color depth.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks for the tips. I expect the card to be delivered Friday, so I'll try yous suggestions over the weekend.

Glad I could help!

Just wanted to point something out as well, did you plug in the external power source to the graphics card? Usually there is a 6 or 8 pin(or Both) connector on most newer graphics cards. It should have come with the appropriate adapters as well. See image below.

Your new Radeon card will also require external power and will have power connectors as well.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images What card should I buy for compatibility with my system?-imagesca2r20rl-jpg 

No, I didn't. Thanks.

Actually, I wondered about that, but I reread the installation instruction about a dozen times, sometimes looking specifically for power instructions, and it didn't mention this, as far as I could see. Maybe I missed the instructions despite looking for them. Anyway, I didn't want to plug power into something I wasn't supposed to, so I didn't do it. That must have been my problem.

Too bad. I think the Nvidia card would have been faster than the Radeon. Well, the Radeon should be fast enough and, even if the processing isn't quite as fast, it has 2 GB RAM instead of just 1.

Thread Information