Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bios settings on MSI KT333 ULTRA ???

First off did you reformat your computer and reinstall windows. This is what I had to do to get the loop to go away. I had to follow a step by step procedure, it does take a lot of time but it is the best way to solve problems. Start off by finding out what exactly will lock up your computer, remember that for later. Now, reformat your computer and reinstall windows with only your video card in, Video card in bios should be AGP and make sure you have plug n play OS turned off. Now install XP with just the video card. Install just the programs you absolutely need, dont' go crazy only things you can not live without...install the one piece of software (i.e. game or whatever) that you know would lock up your compute before. Play that for a day or so to make sure it doesn't lock up, then add another piece of hardware one at a time testing for a few days, so on and so forth. This way you can determine if it is a faulty piece of hardware or what not. All of your setting in bios shoudl be on the default (i.e. FSB = 133, Ram speed = 166 (if PC2700) or speed = 133 (if PC2100) ). If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I have been busy with school projects. You may also want to read this post on how I solved the loop...

http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...ighlight_key=y

I would also recommend you sign up at forums.viaarena.com to see if they can help you, they are very good with solvign these problems.
    | AMD XP 1800+ | MSI KT3 Ultra KT333 | 512 mb Crucial PC2700 | Hercules 3D Prophet 8500 128mb |
    | 40 GB Maxtor HD | 30 GB WD HD | Lian-Li PC60 Modded Case | SK6 Heatsink | FastAccess DSL |
    | Windows XP Home SP1 | Mandrake Linux 9.0 |

Hi ,

Lol Rockandchelle , u really have been throught the wars with the Infinite Loop problem ! And a fellow MOHAA player too :-)) b4 getting on to the tech stuff, u should really check out the Battlefield 1942 game if u like Mohaa . There`s a free multiplayer demo on the website , u may catch it with some PC mags too .

Well my system is much more stable but not 100 % ..and it seems to be Gfx programs which crash , running windows is ok

I tried a clean install with the new power supply, the only card in was the Ti4400 , default BIOS settings , the only change was the FSB at 133 . Like I mentioned above , I was getting blue screen crashes during both 98 and XP attempted installtions ( on a newly formatted drive ) . To me this implies a hardware setting problem .

As asked above : How do u check IRQ settings ? and how do u change them ?

I`ve seen the VIA drivers auto change one of the the drivers , but the other two if required need a manual install from the extracted zip file . I did this and it did seem to boost stability. The GFX card has the latest WHQL certified driver..I installed no betas anywhere .

I`ve been scouring the VIA forum 4 a while also ..that Wiggo is everywhere !:D

I kept the soundcard etc out till the end .. but the instabilty predated all that. CPU temp is 35 C ..and I`m also running that nice little Cooler XP prog that comes with Fuzzy Logic 4 to keep the temp down.

I see a lot of other people floating around with similar probs on KT333 related mobo`s ..wonder whats going on there ..

What did we ever talk about b4 this Infinite Loop appeared ??:?:

Peace y`all : peace:

Gerry

Man, I really wish I could help you more but I really can't offer any more suggestions..I'm not sure what to tell you to do next. Your best bet would be to continue talking to people on the via forums..I hope you get it figured out....

OH, and I love BF1942...my Fiance is getting it for me for my birthday in a month...cya..
    | AMD XP 1800+ | MSI KT3 Ultra KT333 | 512 mb Crucial PC2700 | Hercules 3D Prophet 8500 128mb |
    | 40 GB Maxtor HD | 30 GB WD HD | Lian-Li PC60 Modded Case | SK6 Heatsink | FastAccess DSL |
    | Windows XP Home SP1 | Mandrake Linux 9.0 |

i had a problem with a Intel Based chipset.. But i know Via and Intel chipsets are difrent.. The Capacitors on the board were about to explode due too too much heat.. Yet the heat said aroubnd the same as yours.. But.. The Entire system only had 1 fan.. and that was the CPU fan (damn cheap *******s down the street).
    Check every capacitor on the mobo.. If the top isn't flat.. and sorta pointed upward.. or some are like fizzilin at the top.. then bam mobo problem. it might help.. but i might be totally off..
    Brandon Cook
    Sepherum Systems
    Pentium II 333MHz
    96 MB Ram
    Geforce 4 MX 440
    (OC'ed to the max 432,723)
    (default 270,400)
    2 SCSI 4GB Hdds' w/raid

Hi all ,

Thanks for the advice..I`ll check the mobo . Played BF 1942 awhile last night , then got an unexpected total power down in the middle of another level . No blue screen, just whammo gone . I had the comp on for ages though with no probs..just seems to be GFX card related. I`m getting paranoid bout every part of my comp now lol

I think the next step is to get some more RAM and try the sys with new RAM in it . I`ve had a look and it seems to be just generic make .

I`ll let u know how I get on .

Yours ( exasperatedly )

Neoprene

Here's something that I've come across twice before and that was I had to increase the AGP voltage to 1.6v to get stability in games on two setups. I think that this was just a voltage inaccuracy on both motherboards part. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

..if possible I would try bumping the Vcore, Vagp & Vmemory & see if that helps.

If you know someone with a similar computer (i.e. uses 184pin memory) - see if you can borrow their ram & try replacing yours with it, every once in a while a bad dimm pops up & it can cause a whole world of problems.

Hi ,

Tried bumping the voltage rails and no joy . Interesting . the ram check prog keeps crashing when testing ..not sure if this means a ram fault, or that there`s an issue between the cpu and the ram.

I puzzle on ....

Neoprene

Usually if I'm having memory problems I run Memtest86 (runs off its own bootable floppy) for trouble shooting here. It just floods the memory and caches looking to bring up errors to which I make adjustments to voltage and timings till the errors go away or I decide that the memory is cactus. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

the RAM is the next thing I would check out, if i were in your shoes.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information