Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: network/irq issue?

Hello, first off i want to say this is a great site, i've learned quite a bit from it-i'm still a newb tho, and i got a big fat newb question for ya'll.

Over the past year, i've built my first rig, and it's not the latest and greatest, but i am proud of it. After installing a NETGEAR FA311 card, my computer will not restart properly. the computer itself seems to restart, but the screen shuts off and seems like it doesn't "register" the reboot. It'll shut down and start up ok, but it just doesn't seem to like to restart. This isn't a huge problem, but it's pretty annoying if nothing else. And, since i built this myself, i really want everything to work properly. Somewhere, i forget where, i read that this might be some sort of IRQ conflict. Lo and behold, the IRQ the card is assigned to, #11, is shared with "VIA Rev 5 or later USB controller". it appears that IRQ's 2, 3,4, and 7 are open. So, finally, the question. Any ideas why my comp. won't reboot properly? If it is an IRQ conflict, how do i reassign it? Would i do this in the BIOS or what? (Again, I'm a newb, so bear with, okay? :p )

oh, btw, i'm using a FIC ad11 mobo with a Athlon 1700+, running, winxp pro.

thanks again for the site, and thanks in advance for any help!

A couple of things to look for in the bios first. Under the heading "PNP/PCI configurations" the "recources controlled by" section should be set to auto. The "PNP OS" section should be set to yes. If these settings don't fix the problem, try un-installing the card from Windows, shut down, and move the card to another pci slot. I would move it to a higher slot if one is available, as many nics need a busmastering slot, and if all of the slots are not busmaster, usually the higher ones are. Also make sure that the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers are installed. They include the IRQ routing driver.

Don't worry about being a newbe. All of us were once.

hey bigjack, thanks for the reply.

i went into the BIOS and all the settings were as you recommended. as for the via drivers, my board has a "hybrid" chipset, so i got the latest "4 in 1" from FIC's website....version 4.40, i believe. Only thing is, it said the irq driver could only be installed under win98.....? so it only installed 3 drivers.

i moved the nic to the highest slot, and now the irq conflict seems to be resolved....but the darn thing still won't restart properly! Again, it's really just an annoyance, but if anyone has any ideas, i'd appreciate it. i'm going to try to get my hands on another nic this week and see if that fixes it, at least then i'll know. thanks again, everyone.

oh, and bigjack, where's coventry township? i used to live in groveport before i moved to michigan

later all

Thread Information