Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc is rebooting instead of shutting down.

I had all the wires uplugged from the motherboard (power button, speaker etc) recently and since then when I select shutdown in windows, the pc will restart instead of powering off. I can't see any specific connector I could have reconnected the wrong way..so Im asking you guys for help :) It could even be a jumper. I really can't remember what I did as it was a few months ago.

Thanks.

I can't think of any hardware changes you might have done to cause this. In my experience it's almost always a software problem (Windows settings, drivers, programs that don't know how to shut down properly), or a bios setting. I don't know enough about your setup to point you in a specific direction.

Ah..I'll have a look in the BIOS. definitly not a windows/program problem as Ive had this problem with windows 98, and i've just recently reformatted and installed win2k. same thing happens.

Checked the BIOS...no setting there for it :\

there bios settings on some boards that will cause that to happen - my father-in-law had it happening on his T'Bird 800/Epox 8KTA2 - we got it sorted out in the bios - although I don't recall the specific settings we changed

I had the same thing happening on my AMD box just recently - I couldn't stop it from restarting no matter what I tweaked - I finally did a fresh WinXP install and the problem went away.

my girlfriends computer does this, since we re-installed winxp (this also involved a transition to a new HDD and Case) so i will try playin around with it to fix it 2nite, i'll let u know how i go.

what motherboard is it that is giving you trouble?
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Some old pentium 2 intel board. AL440x or something..

hrm, well still no go here...more playing to be done though..

thats a very different mobo than my GF's tho, her's is an iwill xp333

will let u know how things turn out
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

New to the board here and my father asked me this same question today, so I thought I'd come here to ask.

When your using XP does this procedure not help, I found it in another thread.

I've not tried it yet so if it does or doesn't help please post your results.

Poxy

Simple"-Right click My computer select Properties then hardware-device manager then do not change the view it should be on "devices by type" left click computer in the device tree then right click ACPI system - update driver-Select "Dont search I will choose the driver to install".
    Now choose Advanced Configuration and Power Interface(ACPI)PC. Should solve most power management probs.

i can say it is a windows problem.

I had that problem arise a few months after installation of Windows 95 and 98 and sooner with Windows Me. I cannot recall it occuring with Win98SE.

Although ....however....i had WinXP Pro installed on this machine now for nearly 9 months now and that never arose....let alone no problems arose where I had to reinstall the OS.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    ABit KR7A-133RAID
    AMD AXP2700+@2188MHz
    Crucial PC3200 @ 266MHz
    ChainTech GFX 5600U @ 234/798
    Seagate Baraccuda IV 80.0GB
    WinXP Pro
    ViewSonic G70fmb 17" 0.21mm/0.25mm
    Altec Lansing 221 2.1 speakers
    SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
    Plextor PX-716A DVD+-RW DL
    Plextor PX-708A DVD+-RW