Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: soyo kt-400 platinum + amd tbred = crap

Hello, new to the boards, thanks. ive built a new computer using the soyo kt 400 mobo, and a xp 2400+ cpu, visiontek gforce ti4200, and frankly im quite unhappy. the advertised feature " soyo combo menu has failed every time ive tried to use it with the new via hyperion drivers thoroughly making it impossible to oc my fsb even 1 mhz, yes even 1 mhz cause my system to lock. my memory benchmark is deplorable, my HDD benchmark the same, the only benchmark i do well is the 3dmark and i attribute that totally to my nice video card. anyway im about to rip my soyo, hdd and memory out and replace it with new. as i feel like running this machine is like running a 3 legged race. im not seeing any noticable performance boost compared to my old system. it was a amd 1000+ athlon, gforce 2 mx2 32 mg, old crappy matsonic mobo and 256 mg pc 133, im using pc 3200 ddr 400 now.
    anyway please help me, im interested in the new nforce mobos, im going to try to pick between epox or asus a7n8x. i would like to use the dual channel memory and 8x agp, i like games to perform well, also looking for a better HDD that would be compatible.. please give me some suggestions and advice on the best memory to get for the dual band feature , and maybe a hdd advice, i will not be having a raid array right off the bat.
    also my xp tbred , can i just pull it out of my soyo and migrate it? or should i just buy a new one? , ive never transfered cpus before ive just gotten the mobo bundles in the past... any thanks for your replies. G.

Trade that mobo in on one of these. :devil win

Oh and a second stick of memory if ya havn't got 2 already. :devil:

Lookin good wiggo, but how should i decide between the DA+, the GA+ or the DA? also is there some contingency to use a dual channeled memory setup and also using 8x agp? i thought i read somewhere that only pc2100 can be used this way, the reason i ask is the soyo MB i have now is supposedly 8x supportive, but in the bios, it only gives the options for 1x, 2x, and 4x. no biggie but im going to need this or want it probably for when the nv30 gets released, got any suggestions on memory? or hdd? i do have pc 3200 but i really want to set up 2 256 strips of memory for the dual also my memory is only micron not the best. thanks

Ok then the DA is the basic model and the GA+ has everything including video but the DA+ is the same as the later minus the video and firewire. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

ok DA+ and im sold, from reading tsome comparisons, this chipset outshines the kt 400 by far i will order it tomorrow, now to decide on some memory, i have to figure out if i should go for the pc 3200 and forget using 8x, or stick with pc2100, anyway ill post after i get it up and running llet you all know.

Just remember that ya need 2 sticks of the same spec memory for the best performance, the video can come a bit later but there's nothin' wrong with the one ya have now. ;)

Hi wiggo, what type of memory would ya suggest? ill probably go corsair but im wondering with my 2400+ if id almost be better off with pc 2100@266 mhz? the reason i say this is my chip has a hard time with ocing and i know this (or it appears to) board i use now unlocks my multis, i just havent had any luck doin it. i may not be an oc guru like you guys but i have a small grasp on it and my current config just aint workin. i have tried lowering my multi and uppin my fsb so my cpu stays at the same speed as stock so i could get better % outta my memory in now (pc 3200) no go.

Actually I myself would go for Corsair XMS3500 as that motherboard can force change the multiplier and allow you to lower it so that you can natively run it at 166MHz FSB. :devil win

Check this thread out, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...;threadid=7395 ;)

Before I start, I will describe my system..

2100XP Clocked @ (194 x 12) 2.32Ghz
    Soyo KT-400 Plat
    Geil PC3700 Plat
    IBM Deskstar 120GB 7200RPM
    Gainward 4800 SE
    DangerDen Maze3 block on CPU
    DangerDen Northbridge block
    1/2" Tygon tubing all around
    DangerDen Extreme ICE Raditor
    Ext CPU Temps range from 93F - 98F Full load

Pro's on Soyo mobo
    Rock stable at high clock speeds. It has a very strong feel. What I mean by that is, its very predictable.
    Very fast performance. What I am seeing from this board has been nothing but insane. The speed that can come out of this is very impressive. Whats even more impressive is that its rock solid at the tweaked out speeds. I keep finding myself saying "If this board boots this I am going to **** my pants" The best part of that is, it keeps booting the clocks I am trying.

Cons on Soyo mob0
    My biggest complaint is that the /6 divider does not allow my system to boot. This is limiting my clocking dramatically. My HD hates clocks above 38mhz. So I have been maxing out due to it. I am actually hoping that a new bios has some impact on the problem. If it does not, I still think the board rocks, but could be better.

Alot of the time the system does not like to reboot after bios changes. Once the system is powered down and brought back up, it accepts the new bios changes like a champ. However this is annoying. I also hope for this to be fixed in a new bios.

So bottom line is, this board does have some flaws, but on the same note it is insanely fast. I am very impressed with it. If the flaws can be ironed out with a new bios (As I cross my fingers) I will be in love. I for one find this board to be a great board to have fun with. It constantly surprises me with what I get out of it. Infact, as I am typing this on my notebook, I am working on an even higher clock (194 x 12.5). Boots it fine, and I am running sandra's and 3dmarks. I would not recommend this board to a hardware n00b such as the one above, but if you truely wanna have some fun tweakin a board out this one is worth a look.

I'm sorry but why would anyone want a KT333/400 based mobo now when the nForce2 chipset is a step above them in performance plus at a cost equivalent to VIA's? :confused:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information