Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows says my optical drives are scsi?

Stupid question i'm sure but...

I have a new lite-on burner and lite on dvd player...Although I can read from them fine, i can't write on the cd burner. This is when I discovered when you click on the properties for the 2 drives, it says they are scsi devices, which they are not of course.

Is there a setting in the bios or windows to select that they are not scsi drives?

I remember a setting like this on my old motherboard, but can't find it on this one.

thanks
    greg
    Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU
    EPOX 8RDA nForce2 Motherboard
    Athlon TBird 2600+/333FSB
    CORSAIR XMS 256MB PC 3200C2
    Sapphire Atlantis R9700 PRO
    ThermalRight SLK-800 Hsink
    Vantec Tornado

That may not be ya prob but if the burner is the slave to the DVD then that is ya prob. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

wiggo...I tried switching them around and it makes no difference at all. I don't know why windows would think they are SCSI drives, as my board doesn't even have a scsi controller on it. It even says my HD is a scsi device. It writes and reads fine to my hard drive, but wtf? Is there somewhere i can manually set them as ide devices???

When i go into properties it says it's a
    WDC WD60 0bb-00CAA1 SCSI Disk Device.

This is frustrating as hell.

I keep on thinking its a jumper i'm missing somewhere, but its not.
    With both optical drives disconnected it still says my HD is a scsi device...this is a fresh install of XP. i don't get it but i need to return this stuff soon if i can't figure it out.
    Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU
    EPOX 8RDA nForce2 Motherboard
    Athlon TBird 2600+/333FSB
    CORSAIR XMS 256MB PC 3200C2
    Sapphire Atlantis R9700 PRO
    ThermalRight SLK-800 Hsink
    Vantec Tornado

I am having the same kind of problem, sort of. I just bought a Pioneer AVR-4 DVD burner and installed it yesterday. I went to the properties and it showed up as a SCSI device also. It seems to work okay I guess. I haven't burned a DVD yet,so we shall see. The only thing I can figure out that it is different is that it is not designated as ab IDE/EIDE device in the manual, but as an ATAPI device. Got me as to what impact that might have. But maybe that means something to somebody.

I had a similar scsi problem with my lite on dvd rom device...i went to this sight and loaded the updated firmware and magically all my problems went away.

http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
    p4 2.4 gHz
    512mb pc2700 corsair low latency XMS memory
    Gigabyte 8pe667 ultra2
    volcano 7+
    xaser II case
    16x liteon dvd rom
    Western Digital 80gig Special Ed.

Thread Information