Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: win xp <--> 98se network problem

:grr: i finally got windows XP running well on my one computer, my other PC is still running windows 98se. I have installed the Netbeui protocalls on the XP PC so i can use the other computer for storage/printer and i have a few problems... My forst promblem is that when i try to access the other PC it takes forever to do it i mean u click on icon and just wait and wait until it suddnly pops up this never happened when i had 98se on both, Another problem is that i have the printer on the other PC when i try to install that printer i get major LAG installing it and eventually the window stalls and i have to end process... this has never happened before on 98se, I can get the printer installed using other ways but when i do i can see the printer and all but when i try to use it i cant ussually the window just freeses up. This is all just a big drag atm so im probobly going to install XP on the other PC but i hate being forced by M$ to upgrade :grr: :grr:
    o forgot the mention the network is 100mbs

5 of the 12 PC's here on my network run XP and the rest run SE but I have no probs with them (though printers must be on XP PC's). Netbeui is not required at all as all I'm usin' is TCP/IP and Netbeui is now a security risk which is why XP will not install it by default and you must search for it.

same here. I got 2 98se and couple of XPs. all see eachother fine.

Is it only the XP trying to access the 98SE box that is slow, or is it the other way around as well?

I have found that the so-called generic drivers in windows are not so generic. Make sure you are using the nic drivers from the manufacturer and not the generic drivers on both comps.

I just put XP on the other computer and every thing works well now thx for all your input

Thread Information