Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Another computer video problem




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    One of my wifes freinds just brought her Pentium 2 system over tonight for me to look at. She didn't really say what was wrong with it but after she left I plugged it in and was surprised to find out that the video does not work at all but everything sounds like its booting up o.k..
    I tried swapping AGP video cards but still nothing (I wish I had a non AGP card to try). The first thing I thought of was my PSU 4 pin connecter problem I was having with my new system in one of my other post but ofcoarse a Pentium 2 baby AT board does not have that. I also tried taking out the battery to clear the CMOS as was also more or less suggested in that same post but still nothing.

    I'm not sure where to begin on this one. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Was the vid card in the box the original card or did they try to put a new one in and run into trouble? What card is it BTW?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjackusa
    Was the vid card in the box the original card or did they try to put a new one in and run into trouble? What card is it BTW?

    No, I'm sure noone messed with the video card, the computer is over 2 years old. Its an Intel 740 chipset on the video card, but like I said I don't think its the card becuase I tried a working GeForce 2 in the system and that will atleast make the screen flicker when you first turn the system on but after a couple seconds it does the same thing as the Intel card (Nothing).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Does the mobo have an onboard video? If so, disable it in the bios and/or set irq to agp from pci.

    Another option is to reflash the bios. There are nasty bios viruses out there.

    The next solution (without wasting hours or days) is to replace the mobo, used p2 mobo's are cheap.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Are you using the monitor that came with the rig? If so, it could be a problem with the monitor. I don't know where you live, but surely you could pick up a pci vid card for your benchwork for $5-10us.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C_deck
    Does the mobo have an onboard video? If so, disable it in the bios and/or set irq to agp from pci.

    Another option is to reflash the bios. There are nasty bios viruses out there.

    The next solution (without wasting hours or days) is to replace the mobo, used p2 mobo's are cheap.
    No onboard video.

    The bios flash would be an option if I could get a CMOS screen to look at.

    New mobo, I might suggest that to them as an alternative but I'd like to find a PCI video card to try and eliminate all the possibilities first. This system is a P2 266 MHZ. In my opinion its not worth the hassle of a new board but they might think otherwise.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjackusa
    Are you using the monitor that came with the rig? If so, it could be a problem with the monitor. I don't know where you live, but surely you could pick up a pci vid card for your benchwork for -10us.

    The monitor is one of my own (15' LCD) and it's in good working condition. I use it for things like this becuase Its easy to move around and that way people don't have to bring their big 100lb+ monitors over here.


    No chance of picking up a cheap used PCI video card in my town. The cheapest place that sells video cards in my town would be a new at Wal-mart. The 2 or 3 Mom and Pop computer stores around here would probably charge twice as much for a 5 year old video card compared to one of Wal-marts new ones. I'd have to travle 600 miles+ to get a good buy.:tears:


    Update; I just got ahold of a PCI video card to try and that does not work either.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    111

    Default

    i have cheap friends too. try:

    1) I forgot, no beeps? make sure the speaker is wired up and listen for long and short beeps. let us know the count. one older intel boards, i think 3 short beeps is video problem (i forget, i have to look it up every time, also depends on bios manufacturer)

    2) see if a buddy has a port 80 board you can borrow.

    3) lend friend the money

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C_deck
    i have cheap friends too. try:

    1) I forgot, no beeps? make sure the speaker is wired up and listen for long and short beeps. let us know the count. one older intel boards, i think 3 short beeps is video problem (i forget, i have to look it up every time, also depends on bios manufacturer)

    2) see if a buddy has a port 80 board you can borrow.

    3) lend friend the money

    1. The speaker wire is connected to the Mobo and there are no beeps. The top of the Bios reads AMIbios dated 1995.

    2. In the town I live in, most zoo monkeys are probably more computer literate than 90% of the people that live here are, so I doubt anyone has a port 80 board they'd let me borrow.

    3. I'm not going to suggest that one.:no: ;)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Have you tried unplugging every device connected? (including floppy and hard disk, pci boards, fans, the processor on an old board will survive w/o processor fan) and then try both video boards. a shorted fan can have strange results like your problem.
    try another power supply as well.

    other than that, i think you are hooped amigo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •