Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latency problem?

Part of my job is to buy pc's for use with the instruments we sell.
    We recently started using Compaq D310 systems.
    We seem to have a problem with the RAM. We use a total of 768 MB (1x 512 and 1x 256)
    The standard module (256mb) installed by Compaq has a sticker
    mentioning DDR 266. When we order an extra module(from Compaq) we get a module saying DDR 133. I assume that is the same 133x2= 266 hence the Double inDDR ?
    But the modules have another difference. One says CL 2.5 and the other CL 2
    We have got several calls from customers who say that the systems locks up when they use it heavily.
    Compaq says that it has nothing to do with the memory, but when the customer removes one of the modules the system works fine. Could the lock-up's be related to the memory?

any input would be appreciated
    "Make FPS, not war"

I'm guessing that with Compaq there is no reference to the memory timings in the bios. Will the rigs run fine with either stick in them, or just the original one? Is the original stick the one with the cl2 rating?

You are right. In that *****bios of theirs you can't set the timing.
    The original stick is CL 2 I suppose CL stands for Cas Latency?
    And the lower the number the shorter the time required between data transfers?
    "Make FPS, not war"

A CAS 2.5 memory stick with the BIOS setting to 2.0 will create instability as well as other nasties as a result.

The solution is to set the BIOS CAS to 2.5

As well, check out the other memory settings on the two sticks of memory and use the higher values of the two in the BIOS settings.

Oops missed the last posts.
    Trade the memory for CAS2 sticks.

I've run into the same thing with some Emachines. The bios is set to cas2 and you can't change it (I had to find that on a Korean site as you can't even see the timings in the bios). The only solution is to use cl2 rated ram. The ram may even need to have cl2 reported by the SPD in addition to supporting it.

I'd be for calling Compaq and getting those exchanged for some compatible RAM.

You think they'd know better:rolleyes:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I also called Compaq. First you get put on hold for 10 minutes and when I finally got somebody on the other hand he turns out to know even less of computers than me.
    When I asked him if it was possible to change the stick for one with CAS 2, he told me that it was not possible because the processor can't handle that :steam:
    But I came up with a solution. From now on I will by the pc with 1GB of RAM. I then take out the standard 256MB and use it myself. I already aquirec a dvd drive and soundcard this way :D
    "Make FPS, not war"

Oddly enough, even my wife knows better than to buy a Compaq

No idea where she learned that, I can't teach her a darn thing:cry:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

i think the bios sets automatically to the lower ddr speed with a more aggressive cas setting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information