Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem with Soyo p4x400 dragon

I'm having problems with my computer locking up, restarting by itself, and going to "THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH". It has not run stable sense I bought it. I am not familiar with the memory settings in the bios, this is my first board with DDR memory. First the memory was locking the cpu when I run the memory to the speed it was supposed to run.(DDR333). But when I manually put it to 133 (DDR266) it ran stable. I wanted the DDR333 memory to run in here.(that's what I paid for). So, I tried replacing the memory. That made it less stable and this time the memory is supported by the manufacturer. Then reinstalled windows. Thought that might be the problem. But NO didn't work. So what now. Any ideas??????? My System is, P4X400 Soyo dragon ultra platinum, P4 3.06 with HTT, GeForce 4 ti4200 8x, creative sound blaster Audigy MP3+, Western Digital 80gig HD with 8 meg buffer, CDRW, DVD, 420 w. power supply, winXP PRO (SP1). Need I say MORE????┐

What memory, specifically are you running? Are the memory timings in the bios set to "by SPD"? Is the auxillary power connector plugged into the mobo? What brand of psu?

Memory MT 32x64 ddr333 two 256m sticks. Yes it is set by SPD in the bios(i dont know what or how mutch to set differently). What auxillary power connector are you reffering to? If it is the 4 prong square connector on the board ,yes . What is PSU (power supply unit?) Power supply is a UNECC 420w. MT is the only name on the sticks.

The 4 prong connector is what I was talking about. I'm not familiar with that brand of power supply (psu), so I have no idea how good it is. Do you have the ram sticks in sockets 2 & 3 as Soyo recommends? I checked a couple of brands recommended on the Soyo site and they were not of the 32X64 setup. I don't know if that matters on your particular mobo. When you say
    the memory is supported by the manufacturer
    do you mean Soyo? MT means Micron Technology, but anybody can buy Micron chips and make ram sticks. All of the recommended brands on Soyo's site are name brands and should be marked with the manufacturer's name, i.e. Apacer, Corsair, Kingston, etc.. No brand name on the sticks probably means "generic house brand", and could be of questionable quality.

Yes the 4 prong connector is pluged in, yes they are in 2 and 3. I bought the memory and mobo from Directron.com. First they sent me Samsung memory(i didnt know what i was getting and i thought they would send me compatible memory duh) then i sent it back and they sent this MT and said they tested it in one of the same boards. Then I got the memory back and e-mailed Soyo tec. support, they said it was compatible. So I dont know anymore┐

when does the blue screen appear? right away? within a few mins? erractic?

try unplugging everything , all cables, connections,cards and memory and re-inserting them.

when on faster memory speeds try a little more voltage (0.1) and see if it helps. i would check the psu voltages as well.

i typed in "unecc power supply" on google and i didnt get much to work with. any other info on that power supply?

Blue screen appears right after on when windows is loading. I cant even see the desktop. I tried a new power supply and no change.. When i kick the voltage on memory it locks faster and faster , the higher the voltage the faster the lock. The psu is a UNECC model #"HPC-420-102 DF" Came with the case from http://www.directron.com/ax01gnd.html. That is my case.

well at least we are narrowing down the possibilities.
    what happens in safe mode? in safe mode try running an app that will tax the components.

my initial gut feeling is a component on the mobo is weak but we can never assume anything.

if you never see the desktop anymore, maybe an unrelated component is failing, like the sound card. i would disconnect everything. run hdd diags (in dos) to rule out ide or hdd problems.

you said you reinstalled xp. did you wipe out the boot sector first?
    tools fom the hdd manufacturer will help here.

OK never tried safe mode with the ddr at speeds. No I did not wipe out the boot sector but i did reformat (and not the quick format) and then reinstalled XP PRO. I tried a different Power supply, took out all cards, and both cd roms 1 by 1. Still no change. I too am thinking motherboard.:mad:

well , i went to the soyo page and you have 6 bios upgrades? maybe flash the latest.

are you sure you are not overclocking the cpu at the same time as memory? some bios settings can be confusing. maybe you should post here what bios settings pertaining to the memory and cpu in your bios and someone familiar with soyo bios can help.

Thread Information