Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What Caused Strange Hardlock?

Heard from my best friend yesterday and he had experienced a strange hardlock recently with his system. After locking his system wouldn't come back up after a warm boot or a cold boot. He had to clear CMOS to get it functional again. Any ideas as to what could cause this? System specs follow:
    Abit KX7-333
    XP2100
    512Mb Samsung PC2700
    GeForce4 4200 128Mb
    Philips Rhythmic Edge
    Generic 400W PSU
    Windows 98SE

TIA...
    Tomac

Hard to say as there are really several things that could have happened. A couple that pop right up are

- ESD in the immediate vicinity of the system caused the CMOS to forget some of the major settings forcing a reset of the CMOS.

- Unlocking a processor (primarily Palomino) and having the conductive material bridging the gaps not have a solid connection anymore... renders the adjusted multiplier invalid causing a reset of the CMOS to pick up the default multiplier settings.

There are a lot more scenarios where this could be the required action, but maybe this will give you a starting point to your research. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

His system isn't o/c'd at all and he uses a good surge protector. The only things I can think of are temps (he's using a cheap case w/only 1 fan in an apt w/no AC, ambients have been around 30C) or a blip from his generic 400W PSU (but that shouldn't prevent a reboot).
    Tomac

Heat build up due to poor case ventilation, the wrong or to aggressive memory settings or a poor seat with the HSF (or just poor a HSF or the clip bein' the wrong way around) but a poor PSU will either not boot or continually reset the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Heat build up due to poor case ventilation, the wrong or to aggressive memory settings or a poor seat with the HSF (or just poor a HSF or the clip bein' the wrong way around) but a poor PSU will either not boot or continually reset the system.
    This is good Samsung CAS2 memory set at the default timings so I doubt it's that. The hs/fan isn't the best but it is all-copper and is mounted correctly w/AS3. So, you think the most likely culprits are heat buildup or the generic PSU? Thx!...
    Tomac

Ok I just noticed the 98SE there so are the missin' .vxd files loaded? :?:

All the software/drivers are loaded (I installed them for him) and he's had no problems for several months (cooler weather?) even w/3D intensive games like Morrowind (his 3DMark scores are where they should be as well). This hardlock has only happened once so far but needing to clear CMOS to reboot has me stumped.
    (He's in another state now so I can't inspect/troubleshoot his rig personally).
    Tomac

What, exactly, was he doing when this occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjackusa
    What, exactly, was he doing when this occurred?
    I'm waiting to hear back on that.
    Tomac

he may have had an energy discharge from another defective device that is plugged into the surge protector. i had a small company with a similiar problem recently and plugging the monitor directly into the wall (off the surge bar) seems to have done the trick.

Thread Information