Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE screwed!

Hey peeps just on my ma and pas comp and every so often i get an strange error message:

IExploere has to close due to KRNL386.EXE

then one of the IE windows closes and computer goes slow for a while! Any clues to whats going on?!

Cheers! :D

what windows version are you running and i.e. version

try to explain Little more what going on

If I were to take a shot in the dark, I would say that it is running a version of Win9x and hasn't been freshly installed in the recent past? Some of my older machines at work have this happen when they have been abused for a long time. To save problems with some of our more computer illiterate types, I just generally format the drive and install Windows fresh and the problem goes away.

Oh, and the actual problem is a communication error that is occuring between the Internet Explorer and the operating system shell. Some of the files have likely been corrupted to a point that is causing the occassional error to come up.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well this is windows millenium and im thinking its internet explorer 6 it says this in the version box: 6.0.2800.1106 !

The hard drive was formatted a while ago but whats Win9x? The only thing which i can remember which has been installed is windows media player 9 but i thought the error occured before that but then again i could be wrong (sos about the confusion but i is trying to fix problems my big bro creates!)

ta ta

Win9x is simply the older versions of Windows that ran on that particular shell. This includes Win98, Win98SE and WinME. Some also add Win95 to this list since it was the precursor to the newer breeds, but I generally consider it too old to really be included in the list.

And the problem is some minor corruption in some of the core files which is causing a communication error between the two pieces of software. I have tried uninstalling the IE before and reinstalling it again, but I haven't had much success with this method. I just format the drive and reinstall Windows and all seems to go back into order.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Cheers for that mate :laugh: not long before i become a fully fledged computer geek even though i hate :grr: that term :shoot3:!

Im going to advise my ma and pa to reinstall windows and see if it helps along - i don't think we will go as far as re formating the hard drive just yet as the problem is too bad :rolleyes2

ta ta

ooopss that was meant to be "isn't to bad" :rofl:

Make sure that the missing .vxd system files are loaded as soon as ME'ss is finished bein' installed and before other drivers are as this gave Win9x oses their bad rep in reliability (ME'ss though has a few other issues still to be decifered which I couldn't be bothered with, 98SE was the last great 9x os).

Wow yeah just looked that up and we don't have those vxd. files. Hmmm i take this pc scoop is legit? I find it really intresting how microsoft have left those files out since 95 when they obvisouly could have fixed it in the later versions hmmmm

cheers wiggo! :cheers:

ta ta

The thing that ****s a lot of us is that M$ could've fixed this thru their update page instead of lettin' these 9x oses get a bad rap for stability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information