Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How do you free up system resources?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    I'm using Windows XP professional and got an error while running Kazaa stating that my system resources were low.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Alberta , Canada
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    First step would be to get rid of Kazaa and replace it with Kazaa Lite http://doa2.host.sk/ . Use adaware http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ or spybot to remove all the garbarge that Kazaa leaves behind (around 90 odd hidden spy files last time I counted). If you want to keep your shared folder just remove it from Kazaa before uninstalling and then (after scanning for viruses) drop it into Kazaa Lite's Shared folder.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

    Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    how mush memory do you have and what is the size of your paging file?

    to temporarily free up resources, close anything in the system tray that doesn't need to be running and open the Task Manager and close any non-essential Processes and Applications
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    how mush memory do you have and what is the size of your paging file?

    to temporarily free up resources, close anything in the system tray that doesn't need to be running and open the Task Manager and close any non-essential Processes and Applications

    1024 MB Ram. I'll try shutting everything down that I can by disabling it in msconfig, unless you suggest otherwise.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    First step would be to get rid of Kazaa and replace it with Kazaa Lite http://doa2.host.sk/ . Use adaware http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ or spybot to remove all the garbarge that Kazaa leaves behind (around 90 odd hidden spy files last time I counted). If you want to keep your shared folder just remove it from Kazaa before uninstalling and then (after scanning for viruses) drop it into Kazaa Lite's Shared folder.
    I've heard Kazaa Lite was better on other forums also. Maybe I'll check it out. 90 hidden files! (WOW!)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    New England Highlands, Australia
    Posts
    21,907

    Default

    KaZaa is full of all sorts of **** so at least drop it for KaZaa Lite.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Onebadass
    1024 MB Ram. I'll try shutting everything down that I can by disabling it in msconfig, unless you suggest otherwise.
    a gig of RAM is plenty....

    just dump KaZaA for K++ or Kazaa lite and you should be fine
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    a gig of RAM is plenty....

    just dump KaZaA for K++ or Kazaa lite and you should be fine

    Whats K++?:shrug:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    it's just a slightly more-modified version of Kazaa Lite
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    845

    Default

    i thought K++ and kazaa light = same thing
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •