Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP 2100+ & Win XP

I was at a buddies house setting up his new computer. Hes running a XP 2100+ on a Gygabyte KT400 mobo with 1x512MB DDR333, gForce 4 mx440, WD 120GB 2MB Buffer.

When I was formatting his new drive with XP setup, it crashed at 99%, had some long error msg. So i played around with it for a while before deciding to try Win ME. I decided to try this one on 10GB partition, so I used fdisk and format in MS DOS. That worked out great, so I was thinking the last few sectors of the HD could be corrupt. Installation of ME went so so, with a few blue screens but thats to be expected from the 9x kernal. I then started windows normally and I got a Windows Protection Error (No, not piracy). She booted into safemode fine, so I popped open the case. FYI I didnt build this, some smuck did. I looked around, everythings good. So I decided to try out something that I had been thinking about while staring at the Windows Protection screen. Flicked the FSB DIP Switch to 100MHz, Left the multiplier at Default, and she booted into ME fine (fine being the odd blue screen of death).

That was the last thing I could do tonight before heading home. Im thinking the smuck that put it together screwed up on the HSF installation, which is OEM, or the processor simply cant handle the 1.83GHz (?? is that right ??) is suppost to.

I will be looking at it somemore tomorrow hopefully after my own PC get sorted out. I was only wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what to look for or possible solutions so the proc can be running at its full potential.

Also, I notice a lot of you are running 2 sticks of memory. I was just wondering if there is any advantages to running 2 over 1, besides the obvious reasons:laugh:.

Thanks dudes.

1733MHz is the stock speed of an XP2100 which is likely why ya havin' probs settin' it up.

how can you tell the stock speed from hte PR rating is it a formula or do you just have to remember?
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

A good memory. :devil win

awww crap i hate memorizing stuff, a formula would be so much easier
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history.

Thread Information