Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Cable Modem + Bandwidth Throttling with Linux

I'm getting Earthlink Cable modem service for the house that I live in. I live in a Cooperative with 27 other people, making for a total of 28 people in one huge house. I want to use my second computer as the internet gateway for the house so that it can act as a firewall + bandwidth manager. I'm thinking of using Linux RedHat 9.0. What software should I be using with Linux? Any ideas? I'm sure a whole boatload of software exist, but I don't know what's the best or how I should be setting it up. Let me know if you have any ideas.
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

let me know if you find anything? the closest I've come is using trickle on a single machine. what trickle does is any app that is launched via trickle at the command line can have its bandwidth limited. They call these kind of apps Bandwidth Shapers but most of the decent ones are not free..:yuc:

I know Cord IRL, and so we've had our eye out for a Shaper for a while. But last night I decided I needed to find one, and after a half hour I found THIS ask /. discussion. (IT IS MASSIVE) http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...thread&tid=109

BTW, Hubs are to switches, what 'throttlers' are to 'shapers', which means you definatly want a shaper.

I read the entire thing, and took notes. I have not tested any of the software titles they suggest, but this one seems to be the most popular, and comes configured for someone like me who is fairly green with linux.

http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

---------

So we will be trying this one, and letting you know how it goes. The thread also produced about SIX other 'leads' which all come with rave reviews. If you are interested in the other leads, I will post them, but the Wonder shaper sounds so good we will definatly give that a shot first.

Oh and that entire discussion took me 4 hours to read through. :eek: but, its been a while since I learned so much in one sitting.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

There's also a command in Linux called SHAPECFG which seems to be just what we're looking for but it seems a bit tricky to get working properly which is why I would suggest a commercial product..:2cents:

Digital, do you have reason to believe that the 'WonderShaper' is ineffective? I have no idea. :shrug:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Wondershaper is the same thing as trickle isn't it? its only for a single machine. not for a router/firewall which controls your internet traffic....

I don't think it is... One guy for sure said he is using it for a network of 10 computers. Alot of people suggested it.

Why not use a router? It would be less expensive than devoting a whole computer to the effort, not to mention the cost, time and effort to figure out Linux and the associated software. You'll need network hubs to distribute the access anyway. If the router has wireless capability, some users could access the network/internet that way.
    :-(

Quote Originally Posted by elrado1
    Why not use a router? It would be less expensive than devoting a whole computer to the effort, not to mention the cost, time and effort to figure out Linux and the associated software. You'll need network hubs to distribute the access anyway. If the router has wireless capability, some users could access the network/internet that way.
    a router with bandwidth throttling capabilities would most definately be enterprise class equipment and would cost a ton of cash..

Default Re: Cable Modem + Bandwidth Throttling with Linux

the draytek vigor 2600 router offers bandwidth throttling and can be sourced in the region 150

Thread Information