Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ANother modem problem

I have a US Robotics Performance Pro modem (internal). Lately its been hanging on me to the point it times out. Cant tell if its teh lines or the modem. Ideas?

Sorry but I hate internal and USB modems. :snip:

Well at the time, DSL was out, couldnt get cable due to restrictions teh landlord has. Now I can get cable, but I have to wait until I can get it hooked up. Have to run a whole new line to the house since they wont split the tv bill and the internet bill.

Wiggo, what is the best modem?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Is there a best modem? :confused:

But I do prefer the old external hardware driven ones. :cheers:

RP Racing when ya pickup the phone do ya hear any static thru it? :?:

NO static heard at all. IT connects at 42.6K (my old Comcrap Presario wouldnt go above 33K). IT's just frustrating when it hangs. Have to disconnet it and reconnect it. Sometimes it's fine for days, the next time it does it 3 times in an hour.

This is somewhat of a known issue with USR modems. Try these init strings.

AT&F1S15=128
    AT&F1&K0S15=128

Those usually help it out. If not, i suggest re-installing/updating your modem drivers. You could also get a new modem. If I had to choose one, It would be external and have a serial port connection. Like the ones here:

http://www.zoom.com/products/external-modems.html

Thread Information