Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who can help?

I want to make an internet sharing between 12 pcs on one modem ... so making a network for 12 pcs ....
    I am zero in networking so who can explain tm me how I can do it ... what I need to buy ... Thank you

www.practicallynetworked.com

you need:

1 nic for each PC
    1 cat5 cable for each, long enough to reach:
    1 12port router, or three 4 port routers (witha cat5 inbetween each, one uplinked to another) - connected to the modem
    1 networking software (windows2k does just fine)
    1 user manual for the router(s)
    10 minutes, per machine, max

it's as easy as plugging in the components and pressing "go"

oh - you are on broadband, yes? otherwise, it's a little bit trickier, but not by much

:afro: :afro: :cheers: :cheers:

think it might be a little cheaper to get some hubs instead of a 12 port router :?: ;)
    <font face="Arial" size="1">Where do you want to go today?</font><br><font face="Arial" size="2">Where ever the beer is please.</font>

cheaper? maybe.
    faster? no.
    more secure? hell no.

besides which, if they were all hubs, one of the PC would need to be on 24/7 and have 2 nics in it and be that degree more of a pain in the butt to setup

with routers, that problem is non-existant
    you could have all or none on at any time

ok, i guess 1 router, and some hubs would do it...

a 4 port router (for expandability, and i don't see too many 1 port routers), and a 10 or 12 port hub (or a some smaller hubs) would do the same trick

: peace2: :afro:

Beefy Guest

is this a dialup connection or broadband?

You need to give us more information. What kind of internet connection do you have?

what I need is connecting 12 pc to make them sharing the internet , printer, or any other sharing files or anything...

so I need to know what I need to buy and the price if possible...
    and how I can fit them to make my internet cyber cafee

Beefy Guest

OK, now first there are a few things we need to know....

What kind of Internet connection do you want to hook up? Is it a dial up modem, or is it broadband...

Secondly.. What kind of printer were you looking at? Some printers come with network interfaces, which makes things easier..

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    OK, now first there are a few things we need to know....

What kind of Internet connection do you want to hook up? Is it a dial up modem, or is it broadband...
    uhhh, heheh - he says cyber cafe - that implies a broadband connection, preferably a nice fast cable connection, cuz you aint gonna get 12 PC online at the same time with a dialup ;)

:fly:

Thats not true CT, you could get 12 computers connected to the internet well enough to run an IMS on each... (ICQ, etc)

Get One Router 4-5 port... either a Linksys or a SMC barricade... and then buy hubs as you need them to save on wire.

Honestly though 4ALL, if you aren't good with computers, find a computer geek friend who is, it will save you alot of nightmares...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information