Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to "overclock" a modem?

You may look into a product that Earthlink offers. It's called Earthlink Plus. It offers speeds up to 5 times faster. It's still a dialup. But, it works though a proxy server that caches and compresses pages. So you install a small application. It configures the proxy in your browser. When you request a document, you're requesting it from that server. It provides the page in a compressed format that the application that you had installed decompresses on the fly and you see it in your browser. I've seen it in action. It's actally pretty awesome. They're the only major Isp that I know of that have performed such a thing with success.

Later

AOL so something similar don't they. You connect to their server and get the files from that. However I don't think they do the whole compression thing. I've been on NTL Cable for at least 2yrs now. Only problem is the upload speed is like 128 so its a bit crap for servers. :rolleyes:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information