Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to "overclock" a modem?

I'm really sick of my slow 56k modem and was wondering if it's possible to overclock it somehow to make it connect at faster speeds. I've also heard that it is possible to connect two modems together to double the speed... can someone enlighten me?

It's physically impossible. Broadband is ya next step unless ya ISP supports dual modem connections (refered to as "shotgunning").

Do you know how to "shogun" 2 modems? Or is there a site that would tell me?

it's also called poor man's isdn

most dial-up ISP will charge (fine) you if you try to do it

find out if your isp will allow two connections to the same phone # at the same time, cause that is the only way for it to work (most don't) I know for a fact that Earthlink wont allow it, as I tried (sucessfully I might add...until I got a email informing me that if I tried it again I would get a heafty 'charge')

but like Wiggo said, broadband is your next step in the quest for more bandwidth
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Earthlink used to be the easiest for dual connections. I cancelled about a year and a half ago when I went cable so I guess they must have changed.

At one time I had two connections over my DSL PPPoE account and two with dial up simultaneously! :D All with the same Earthlink login/pw. I guess no more eh? :D
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

I have 2 modems already... is it as simple as just connecting the two with a small cord? Where could I find out how to do it?

Have a look thru these.

plug both modems into your PC, then have them both dial the same phone number (you'll need at least two seperate phone lines for this) with the same account ...it's really that simple

but first you should read this quote from an article:
    ...not all ISPs will allow multiple logins to the same account. Some local ISPs will even terminate accounts that have more than one open connection.
    now if you're still willing to go ahead with this that is your problem...don't come back and blame me if your ISP drops your account

Well, if it comes down to that, I'll pass on the shotgunning... unless MSN allows it ;)

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv3n
    unless MSN allows it
    I highly doubt M$ will allow it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information