Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: networking prob again

Finally found the right cable..

My setup goes..

Desktop: XP, ADSL, 2xNICS
    Ist NIC: Enabled
    IP Address: 150.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Assigned by DHCP

2nd NIC: Network cable unplugged..

Notebook: XP, Loopback Adapter
    Enabled
    IP Address: 169.xxx.xx.xxx
    Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
    Automatic Private Address

Hooking them together: CAT.5 CROSSOVER PATCH CABLE..

I can't get my network to work..Any ideas?
    "I'm back!" ^_^

Well, I really dont know anything about netowrks, but MAYBE the subnet mask on your lappy should be 255.255.255.1 or.0 im not sure, wso you ought to just wait for a newtowrk expert to answer your question.

Is the attached pic what you are trying to accomplish? If so, what connection do you have between the DSL 'modem' and your desktop computer?

oh, and if you want your comps to work together you need to have similar IPs: 192.168.0.xxx (this is an example of a local IP which is what you need to connect them both in a small LAN environment) and your subnet mask needs to be the same for both

until you get it working, I'd recomend using 192.168.0.1 (desktop) and 192.198.0.2 (laptop) with subnet 255.255.255.0 to keep things simple...after we know it works, then you can change it for your needs
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

Agreed. At the moment you've got two computers on two different 'logical' networks, so they aren't going to be able to see each other. Setup the two PCs as mini said, and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    I'd recomend using 192.168.0.1 (desktop) and 192.198 .0.2 (laptop) with subnet 255.255.255.0 to keep things simple...after we know it works, then you can change it for your needs
    Do you mean 168 or 198..

I have em' both as 192.168.0.? ?=1and 2
    and 255.255.255.0 still my desktop has cable unplugged..
    "I'm back!" ^_^

I ment 168 :o

is the NIC that isn't getting a signal going from your desktop to broadband modem or from desktop to laptop?

[edit]desktop to notebook btw..[/edit]
    the notebook nic shows as active when enabled..the adsl one too..but when i enable the other desktop nic is says connection failed..then shows as unplugged..i can ping the localhost 127.0.01 on both..i can ping 192.168.0.2 from my notebook fine and from desktop ping 192.168.0.1 127.0.0.1 and my adsl connected IP..but it show unplugged and can connect connect the two comps as yet..
    "I'm back!" ^_^

though i m as dumb in networking as any one can but if i read correctly you have two NIC's in your desktop. did you disable the second NIC from device manager? i mean the one which is unplugged cos that could be the one which is being shown as unplugged by XP.
    quite a dumb thing to ask but just checking :o
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

It still isn't working..So I have a question about WOL..

In the desktop I have two nics and one WOL connector on the motherboard that I can see..I heard for the second nic, that I don't have to plug it in..
    So my nic that is being used by the adsl modem is connected with WOL but not the second nic that I am trying to use for the network..
    "I'm back!" ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by stormybaka
    It still isn't working..So I have a question about WOL..

In the desktop I have two nics and one WOL connector on the motherboard that I can see..I heard for the second nic, that I don't have to plug it in..
    So my nic that is being used by the adsl modem is connected with WOL but not the second nic that I am trying to use for the network..
    I'm not sure I understand the question:confused:

if you want to have both NIC be WOL, you can't...unless you have a mobo that I have never heard of that has 2 sets of pin-outs for it

so choose which NIC you want to have WOL and plug it into the appropiate pins. but unless you have a specific reason to use WOL, it's probably best to leave it disabled.

but as for your network problem, perhaps a netwrok guru will see this thread and help you out until I have time to study your problem in more detail
    :cheers:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information