Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Calbe + Wireless

have 3 comps + the soon to be one and my 3 are networked via cables , now can i buy a wireless netwroking thing and link it to my netwokring hub so i can get the soon to be comp across the house into the network with out calbes ?

you know via uplink or something ?

Yes you can. I do it, with about the same setup. I have a wireless Dsl/Cable router with 4 port hub. I have my main computer hooked straight into the wireless router then hooked up my other computers via either a usb wireless, or wireless pcmia card, you can also use a wireless pci card.
    Then my cable connection goes straight into the router as well.
    If other computers are close enough, you can hook them straight into the wireless router, up to four, and then connect the other computers via wireless.

BE SURE TO ENABLE WEP. Unless you want people hoppin' off your line.

Regards,
    Chez
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

thanks this helps a ton

allso is can wireless work with linux red hat 9.0 or mandrake 9.1??
    i looked on the site for supported hardware but it dint say anything about wireless

also i am looking at soemthign like this right ??

http://www.linksys.com/products/disp...id=505&scid=35

Almost. You DON'T want an WAP wireless access point. You want a wireless DSL/Cable router. It incorporates an access point and a router all in one. Saves on money and incorporates it all in one.
    I personally run a belkin setup, since I got a killer deal on it from Office Max, with all the rebates and instant rebates it cost a lot less.
    I personally find the best places to purchase these things is at an officemax, office depot, staples, ect. They always seem to have good/better deals than the online stores like newegg or the like for some reason.
    Someone else substantiated this as well in the thread about "where to buy".

Just my opinion.
    I would also go to www.belkin.com, www.dlink.com, netgear ect. and find the product that fits your bill, then look for it on google or via each of your favorite stores for the best prices. Even go to the retail outlets and see what they have and prices on the shelf.
    I personally run an older wireless spec dubbed "b" which has a limit of 12mbs transfer rate, the newest (if I am not mistaken) is "g" which is backward compatible and is rated at 54mbs. I have no need for the faster throughput, and you may find you don't either. In that case you should find some REAL good deals on the older spec "b" wireless products.
    On my laptop right now I get a throughput of 1.2mbs download off the net, so the 11mbs transfer hasn't affected my performance on that front. Although I would assume it would affect transfer of files from computer to computer and the lenght between the computers. ie. the "g" setup would allow for further lenghts from the ap/router to your furthest computer with the least amount of drop in signal quality.
    You might want to do a little reading on the different specs. As it is hard for me to explain via a "email""post" than it would be in person or on the phone.
    Your local bestbuy or something might be able to explain the differences and help you in selecting the best setup for you.
    Good luck.
    Chez
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

what is the big diff of a WAP and the Router

allso i am looking at the G type over the B becuse of the range of the G is bigger by about 25- 50 feet if i an right

This is another thing you might want to read up on. I will give you a brief description though.

A cable/dsl router, routes your hardwired computers to each other and the modem.

A wireless access point, connects the wireless portion of your network.

That is why I suggested a wireless dsl/router. It does the job of both.
    Regards,
    Chez

Knowledge is POWER

Thread Information