Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gettin Cable soon got questions many

First off let me say after 2 years of waiting Bwahahahahahahahahhahahaha.ahahahah.....ahahahahah ah....ahahh.

Ok now that that's out of the way. My questions are is there any thing that I should know, do, research, Change, tweak or modify in my system before I get my cable modem service in a week or so.

My system specs( the ones that really matter) are......I've have an integrated 3com ethernet, and plenty o ram. Should I update the drivers or any of the windows 98 se drivers beforehand? I've already patched my machine up, i.e. windows update, got a firewall and antivirus protection up too, but I feel I'm missing something.......... Any help would be greatly appriciated:confused: :devil:

you should always try to keep your drivers up to date regardless

only thing I recomend aside from a good personal firewall is to get a decent router/gateway to go between you and the cable 'modem'

most cable companies use your MAC address for identification ...so if you start off with a router from the begining you wont have any problems if you ever change NICs or add another computer

oh and something like Spybot Search & Destroy or Ad-Aware if you don't already have it ...the more you're online the more likely you are to pick up some nasty spyware and adware
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by Orion-prime

Ok now that that's out of the way. My questions are is there any thing that I should know, do, research, Change, tweak or modify in my system before I get my cable modem service in a week or so.
    No. Except maybe about dslreports.com. they have some nice tools for measuring bandwidth (up and down) and overall security of your machine. firewalls are overrated. My windows XP "firewall" is more than adequate. antivirus is nice to have, though don't let it run in the background all the time, it just lowers overall computer performance. that's all i can think of right now. Enjoy your new speed.

You can adjust settings to speed up the Internet but I wouldn't really bother with broadband, it's already fast :)
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by mjmnam
    My windows XP "firewall" is more than adequate.
    : omg: :rofl:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    : omg: :rofl:
    I agree. Mine is more than adequate for my PC. Of course, I've got a router acting as a proper firewall as well, but that's not the point. :)

Thread Information