Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AOL Dial Up Networking

How do all,

My ISP is AOL and I want to remove their software and setup an account manually via the dial up networking connection. However, even though I have my username, password and the correct phone number it won't let me access my account.

It connects then instantly disconnects saying my password is incorrect. It is the correct password. I've had a look on the internet and apparently aol uses a different approach when it comes to connecting.

Does anyone know a way around this??? It's driving me up the wall.

(ps i've already compared their dial up settings when I installed the software but the phone number is blanked out which is proper weird)

Thanks, Gav

I don't know how to get around it.

...I'm not trying to be an ass, but you'd be better off switching to a different ISP :2cents:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I'm from the UK and have been through quite a few ISPs in my time. You've got to admit that not everyone is technically gifted when it comes to computers and the internet and AOL simplifies lots of things. For me AOL has never let me down, I connect first time and the connection is very stable. Just for me personally I don't need the software and I don't like this slightly changed version of netscape?? specifically designed for AOL.

There are pages on the web dealing with using another browser with an AOL connection, though none seem to spring out at me this very moment.

Ease of use/unwilling or feel unable to learn is I believe the top reason people use AOL.

Do you want to be shackled to them for your online use, or do you choose to take the time to study and learn to spread your wings and fly free.

Therein, good sir, lies the question.

Already, you ask well posed questions - I think you have what it takes to soar. Take the time to do so, you will be thankful that you did.

AOL pretty much uses their own version of Dial Up Networking, therefore just using a typical Windows app will require configuration specific to AOL at a minimum.
    I wouldn't be a bit surprised if in doing so, you were to find yourself making a registry change and a few other "technical" tweaks that you for some reason shy away from now.

AOL wants you tied to their proprietary software - it is a cornerstone of their business model.

I assume, somewhere within this lovely suite of software they provide you is a "Help" button. Use that and see what you come up with --- for your sake, I hope a good deal more than what I can find on their site.

If perhaps you could be more specific, what version AOL do you have and which browser do you desire to use and which OS you run, then maybe some more pertinent information would be easier to find.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Mr C. Thankyou for taking the time and effort to answer my query. The help button was clearly designed to promote the heavy use of the aol software. I Fear Mr C.. that by clicking this help button I will be drawn into replacing AOL version 5 with AOL version 8.

I'm taking quite a shine to Opera but if I install that I'll have 3 browsers on my system. I'm fearful Mr C that with 3 browsers on my system conflicts would arise.

My ideal set up would be a manual dial up connection to AOL, running the opera browser on Windows Me. Also an Alicia Silverstone desktop background wouldn't be a bad idea.

In terms of changing the registry.. i'd need a guide. Guide me Mr C!

Much obliged, Gav

Beefy Guest

Wow. An intelligent AOL user. I didn't think they existed (once we step past the oxymoronic part of that statement)... :woot:

I wouldn't be too worried about browser overload on your system. They usually don't get in each other's way, and only seem to fight about which one is the default.

As for the AOL problem, I haven't got a clue. I had a quick hunt around the internet, but couldn't seem to find anything along the lines of what you are looking for. I've also had the pleasure of never having had dealt with people on AOL connections, so I'll bow out of this one.

well that information does seem elusive

http://www.urlorg.com/aol.shtml

has some useful info it seems.

I've also seen it said that it is best to install Opera to the AOL directory? Not sure about that one.

Another bit of info yet, http://www.opera.com/support/search/...e730f32404fae6

hope some of that is useful - happy surfing:cool:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information