Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: port forwarding question...

im running xp with a wireless cable modem from ambit model number: 60237EUW

now im not real good with this since ive never tried it before, but i assume that i enter in my internal ip (ex. 192.168.100.3) into the ip field and select telnet and click add right?

although- it only allows me to open port 21 with telnet....

im not too utterly sure what im doing....but i just want to get around my router so i can play games again because somewhere there is a firewall restricting me and i dont have access to it.

Beefy Guest

It's a bit strange how they don't really mention that it's a modem + router until the end of their spec sheet, but anyways...

To change settings, have you checked to see if your router has a web interface? Most of them do now. So simply go to http://192.168.100.3 (note to other people - don't try click on that...) and see if that works.

a web interface for my modem(+router)? the link didnt do anything except for a cannot find server page...

but if you mean the http://192.168.100.1 thing that lets me edit everything...yes, ive been in there. there is a port forwarding selection in their as well, and thats what i was making reference to earlier...heres a screen shot:

Beefy Guest

Ahh, sorry.. I misread that...

Firstly, what are you trying to forward? Just telnet?

Secondly, what other options have you got under Service type? You don't want FTP there. Is there possibly a UDP / TCP option or something?

ya, i have all those selections to choose from. im trying just to get an open port on my computer so i can play online games again because right now my local isp just upgraded the firmware on their servers or something and ever since i havent been able to log onto any form of a game....it times out everytime even though i can ping the servers at 40 ms like i did before.
    so essentially im trying to get around the firmware upgrade they did, because they did upgrade the firmware on the modems. i disabeled the firewall on the router/modem and disabeled the xp one too...but it still says i got a firewall somewhere. i can still download off kazaa and all, but i cant connect to a counter strike server for example, i just time out. so i just want to get around this stupid thing so i can connect back up.

Beefy Guest

And you're sure that's a problem on your end? It seems a little strange to me...

Do any other games work?

Anyways.. From what I gather off the screenshot, what you want to do is type in a new type (CS or something you'll notice). Then select the BOTH option, put the port number for CS (I think it's 27015 from memory) then your IP. Could be wrong though, that's just how most work.

If not, check and see if your router supports a DMZ address.

all righty, ill try that as soon as i get home and get back to you with the results.

ok, i tried doing that and it didnt work.....hmmm.....heres a pic to show you what i did.

and heres another pic of the options i have

Beefy Guest

I noticed your CS entry there had the server IP in it. Change that to your computer's IP. But what you want to do is use the customised option at the bottom of that list. It's just trying to be helpful and list all the common ports that people forward, but you want to add your own, which it looks like you did anyway with the CS port.

With port forwarding, you're basically telling the router where to send the packets it receives going to the specified port. So when you try to connect to the CS server, the packets that are getting sent back to you via the router will be going straight back to the address you've specified...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information