Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Wanted Network Diagnostic Tool...

Hi Guys

I have a network here with a Cisco 2600 router also acting a gateway for all machines on the network to access the Internet though as of late, Internet performance has degraded which results from pages taking forever to load and sometime users are faced with the "page not found" message.

Assuming that it was a problem with our ISP a call was made to them and they informed us that various ports on our Cisco router/gateway, which is managed by them was being affected by some large amounts of traffic from a machine within our network.

We have approximately 100 machines here and I would like to know if you guys know of any software/tools that can determine from where abouts EXACTLY on the network that excessive traffic is coming from. I need a network diagnostic tool that will pin point the offender.

Thanks in advance guys.
    Without my other half in my life, where would I be - Absolutely nowhere

CASE: Antec Plusview 1000AMG || PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt || HSF: ThermalTake Copper Spark7+ || CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz (800Mhz) running @ 3.5Ghz || MOBO: Abit IC7-G (BIOS Rev: 16) || RAM: Corsair TWINX 512MB DDR (PC3200) || VIDEO: Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB || SOUND: Creative Audigy 2 Platinum || HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda Serial V 120GB (RAID 0) || CD: Pioneer 16x40x 106S Slot DVD / LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW || OS: Windows XP Professional SP1

Beefy Guest

Firstly, a quick question - would any of the computers be infected with Blaster / Welchia / Nachi / etc etc...? They are pretty nasty when they start taking over a network. Even if you've patched, the machines could still be infected if you did have an outbreak. Try the scanners available from Microsoft.

Another very basic way is to take a look at your switches and see what lights flash the most. If they belong to PCs that shouldn't have constant traffic, check it out...

If you're too lazy to do that, then there's some nice Fluke network monitoring software, which costs a fair bit. Not sure about any cheap alternatives though.

Thread Information