Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Connection

Guys this is really wierd. Today, I installed Halo on the other computer so my brother could play it (2.4b / Ti4400). I tested it out, and it ran fine even with only the 44.03 drivers (ran the same as my system, wierd). So knowing the new drivers had some fixes for this game, I tried them out to see what they would do on the 4400. I uninstalled the 44.03's, and installed the 52.16's. All went well, except on reboot, my internet connection didn't work.

I have tried everything I can think of to diagnose the problem. Since the last thing I changed was the drivers, I uninstalled them. Connection was still dead, so I put the old drivers on. I even took Halo back off. I connected it straight into the modem to bypass the router, still didn't work. My system still has access so its not the router/modem.

I uninstalled the NIC (onboard), and reinstalled it.

It has to be a configuration problem but I can't figure out what it is. Nothing I have tried works. The connection simply doesn't exist, its like its unplugged, but I did not change anything except install that game and the drivers and it died.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

And anyone know why all the fonts on this forum in IE are huge now? I didn't change anything. I opened up my browser today and all the fonts are BIG and extremely annoying. I changed nothing, how do I fix this?

Yo, SB.............unless you post a few pertinent System Stats,
    such as,at the very least............

1.) Is your ISP Dial-up/Cable or a Sunbeam Toaster???

2.) Your current OS is what, Linux Red Hat?????

As without some basic pc configuration data on the machine
    that is exhibiting your problem...........even Albert Einstien
    would be hard pressed to offer you any intelligently functional
    advice.

You've no doubt, heard that line "Garbage In = Garbage Out"?
    So, please give us some kind of clue to work with here, if you honestly expect an answer.:confused: :shrug: :D
    Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Cable, XP

For the fonts, go to tour toolbar and click View-->Edit-->Text Size. I generally use the medium size and it works for me. See if you can get it squared away from there.

As to the conflicts, have you tried rolling back the system to a date before you started playing with the new drivers? No guarantee, but if you can get it working properly in this manner, you can try to get things working another way. Kinda like having a second chance. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Damn so simple, the text is back to normal now. I never even changed it in the first place.....

I wanted to do a system restore, but that service had been disabled. I'll never disable it again.

Everything I have tried, hasn't worked. I don't understand how a simple driver install killed my internet connection. Even after removing them its still dead. I have the drivers on this machine with no problems. I have gone through the Internet Connection Setup several times, played with services, tried a Diagnostic Startup to rule out any processes that may have been doing it, and nothing has worked.

Have ya tried to repair IE? :?:

It's not IE, the internet connection for that computer is dead. I can't even access shared folders on the other system. They share the connection with a router.

It might be time to go ahead and do a fresh install again. :yuc:

But before you do, have you tried one of the simplest tricks when using a router/switch type setup? Do a full reboot of both the modem and the router.

- Power down both the cable modem and the router
    - Leave off without power for a couple of minutes
    - Power up the cable modem and wait for the modem to establish a connection with the ISP
    - Power up the router and wait for it to get fully connected

I didn't leave these instructions for you Soulburner as I'm sure you are aware of them, but I try to be as complete as possible so others who may have this same problem can use this thread in the future to take care of the problem at hand.

Good luck! :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well its obviously not the router/modem because i'm here on my system.....thats one of the first things I tried, and it didn't fix it for that system.

One thing that I always know that works for sure is to reinstall....but I JUST did that on that system and I don't want to have to do it again.....I have no idea why it up and died, installing Halo and Nvidia drivers have nothing to do with it....

I would do the XP Repair, which I have done before, but that causes more problems then it fixes so if I can't figure this out, reinstall it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information